One

Isabelle Skyla Campbell

"Izzy." My shoulder was shaken lightly trying to pull me out of my sleep. My hand goes up to my eyes trying to rub away the sleepiness I felt. "You need to wake up."

"What is it, Teddy?" My eyes open and I find myself staring into the warm brown eyes of Theodore, my older brother. He was kneeling in front of the chair I had uncomfortably fallen asleep on.

I scanned around the room, it hadn't changed in the short time I had been asleep, still the obnoxiously white walls, people moving around everywhere and the number of beeps from all the different machines making my head hurt.

Normally the beeps were good, it meant people were alive and still breathing, but Mama's machine wasn't beeping anymore and it hadn't for hours.

"Come on, the people from social services are here and they want to talk to you too."

I suck in my bottom lip, sucking on it, a bad habit I had when I was nervous and Theodore caught me right away. He had been trying, and failing to get rid of it for years but I couldn't help it, it was just a part of me.

"Stop it, you look like a rabbit."

"I like rabbits." I defend, standing up and gripping Theo's hand tightly as he leads us through the see of nurses and family members that linger on the hallways of the hospital floor we are on.

"I know you do." My attention is diverted from my brother and I watch with rapt fascination a group of people break down when the doctor tells them something, I knew it was probably similar to the news I had been told yesterday.

A person you loved is now just a body, they are right there, just in the other room yet you won't ever hear them speak, move or be with them ever again. Their body is right there and yet they aren't.

Tears spring to my eyes and I quickly blink them away before Theo sees them and starts worrying about me all over again, he had himself to worry about, he had just lost his mother too.

My arm is pulled quicker causing me to stumble over my steps, I blink back into focus looking up at Theo in question only to catch his disapproving gaze. "You need to pay attention, Isabelle. You almost knocked into people."

"Sorry Teddy," I whisper and my older brother sighs, looking much older than his seventeen years of age, though since mom got sick it wasn't unusual for him to look multiple years above his age.

Theodore blew out a breath, causing his hair which was now a lot longer to fall almost into his eyes for the lack of time he'd had to get a haircut. It was something he often grumbled about but I preferred it, I liked his long hair. Instead of just holding my hand, Theo wraps an arm around my shoulders and leads me to a room at the end of the floor.

Theo taps lightly on the wooden door and when we're given permission to enter he opens it revealing a lady sitting at a large table by herself, she had taken the chair facing the door and had two files in front of her.