Twelve

Roman Jacob Oliver

Roman Jacob Oliver

For the last few hours, my phone had been blowing up, I lived in a teeny tiny town and when something out of the small box they considered the norm happened news spread like wildfire.

I had never been one to care about town drama but when it included everyone staring at my little siblings like they were circus animals I had had enough of it.

"Which one do you want?" I question Theodore, the three of us had ventured into town to shop after I signed them up for school.

Isabelle had been happy enough to hear about the new class she would be joining but no one was happier than Theo to find out they had a hockey team that wasn't useless, it was the first time I had seen him brighten up since he got here.

Theo had been staying back letting all the affection go to Isabelle, from when he was a kid he didn't like attention.

I was worried about him but I knew it was only the first day they were here but he was pulling back from everyone and I hope it improves as time goes on.

Theo was looking at the school uniform in displeasure, it wasn't anything bad, just a white shirt and slacks for the winter and shorts for summer paired with a tie and a blazer but neither kid had worn a uniform before so they were rightfully a little unhappy at it.

Isabelle was already sorted and was waiting with her dresses, stockings and jerseys already packed and waiting for me to pay for. We would have to make another stop at a shoe store to pick up some black school shoes for both of them though.

I would have tried to push this back at least until tomorrow but it was Friday and they started school on Monday, there was no procrastinating today.

"Do you want to try a different size?" I call again through the door and I finally hear his answer coming through the door.

"No, it fits." He comes out of the dressing room and a smile lifts onto my face.

"You look like Noah," I smile at my younger brother who scowls at me. Theo, Noah and Maddox all looked alike with their dark eyes and even darker hair. Isabelle looked like Jude and I, the only difference was Jude's hair was the only one who was light enough to be blond, something he endlessly complained about growing up.

"Why couldn't I just use their old uniforms, I'm sure you still have them." He turns and looks at himself in the mirror as he ties his dark green tie around his neck.

"You play ice hockey, Theo. Their uniforms won't fit you, maybe Maddox's would but those are long gone." Theo was a lot more muscular than either Noah or Jude and it had been too many years since the rest of us went to school to even attempt to find where those were hidden. "Now are you happy?"

"I guess," We had saved the actual uniforms for last, we had sports uniforms and blazers all sorted already, and they had both been far more excited with those.