Three

Theodore Oliver

Theodore Oliver

Isabelle had fallen asleep almost immediately which was unsurprising, my little sister had been a champ these last few weeks and I was thankful for her lack of complaining when we spent hours and hours just sitting around the hospital and even though she was sad about Mom she wasn't acting out which was more than I can say about me when I found out my father passed away.

"Theo," Roman mutters, ever so softly so he doesn't wake up our sleeping sister, he walks towards the door conjoining. "Would you also like to go to bed?"

I knew he was offering me a chance of sleep, something I also desperately needed but I wasn't naïve enough to think I could ever fall asleep with so much on my mind. Today had been full of shocking revelations and I was going to need to talk some things through with my oldest brother before I even attempted to get some rest.

"Not yet," I reply just as quietly, I knew Izzy wouldn't wake up now, the kid could sleep through anything, but I was nervous.

I had no idea what was going on, I was never nervous, ever. Being nervous means doubting your decisions and doubting means hesitating, and in my world right now hesitation means you could lose everything.

I couldn't be nervous, not now. Not when my every decision affects Isabelle.

"Would you like to come into my room for a bit, catch up and stuff?" Roman was giving me every option to back out but you know what, I had missed my brother, all of my brothers and I hadn't seen them for nearly twelve years.

"I think I'd like that."

Roman smiles extending his arm to welcome me into his space for the next couple of nights, clapping a hand on my back as I pass him to enter his bedroom first. I take a seat on the couch, flopping down and let my head rest back.

"How are the others?"

"They're all good, they're thrilled you're coming home, I haven't told them about Isabelle yet since we only got access to the DNA results this morning and I left yesterday." he passes me a bottle of water and I take it with a soft thanks. "Though after meeting her there is no doubt she's an Oliver, she looks just like Dad."

"And like you," I mutter. "I never really put it together in my head though, like you're Roman and she's Izzy but it never clicked that you both look almost identical until I saw you together earlier. I thought her dad was George like Mom said."

"George?"

"Some idiot Mom used to go out with when we first moved here the timeline might have been iffy but I was only six so I can't even remember anymore but it must have been fine if he believed she was his. He saw Izzy like four times in her whole life even though he was listed as her father on her birth certificate, the only good thing that man ever did for her left her some money as an inheritance to pay for college or whatever when he died but it's not like he had anyone else to leave it to anyway and he was too selfish to donate to a charity or whatever," I told my older brother.