Eight

Theodore Oliver

Theodore Oliver

I was nervous.

I never got nervous, well not never but hardly that was for sure.

Roman was too busy to notice my apprehension and Isabelle was still in a sleep daze to even realise the magnitude of what was happening. My fist kept clenching and unclenching, a nervous habit I had had for as long as I could remember, it often happened to be before big games or an important life event.

Like the life event that was happening right now, this was the biggest life event of my entire life.

Or maybe it wasn't, but it for sure felt like it.

"There's my bag." Isabelle points out as her bag finally comes around after waiting forever for it. I was just about ready to declare it lost and get out of here but the glare Isabelle had shot me when I suggested it had me shutting my mouth, I knew the damage a sleep-deprived, hungry preteen could do, after all, that had been me not even five years ago.

"Awesome." Roman declares, grabbing the last suitcase, his eyes scan the things we had, mentally counting to see if we did have everything and hadn't missed anything. "I think we can go, Maddox is waiting for us."

Roman pushes the cart holding all of our bags and Izzy and I follow him. Isabelle's hand finds mine, gripping it tightly. She was starting to feel nervous now, she didn't know anyone where we were going and even though I knew them all I didn't know anything about them anymore so they were strangers to me now.

One thing I did remember about Maddox is that he was huge, he stood tall around everyone, even as a teenager he was pretty muscular, he loved spending time outside and his tan reflected that.

I stared at my older brother in the distance and not much had changed, he had filled out more but more or less the same height, his hair was longer and he had a beard now that was trimmed close to his face.

Like dad used to have.

He doesn't see us at first, his eyes are scanning in the direction opposite to us but he finally looks at us.

His eyes landed on me first, scanning me up and down like he wanted to make sure I was here, unharmed and safe after all those years we were apart. Then his hands fell on my little sister, who was once again trying to shy away from meeting new people, standing more behind me. With my hand still in hers I pull her more forward so Maddox can see her, Isabelle trips a little at the sudden movement and she turns her gaze to glare at me, it was only then did Maddox's eyes widen, shock filling his gaze.

He saw it, he saw the bright green Oliver eyes our father used to have, the lightest shade of brown hair she shared with Roman, and the freckles dotting her nose she shared with Jude.

There was no denying Isabelle was an Oliver after looking closely at her. I knew how Maddox thought and if there was anyone who wouldn't take my mother's word for anything it would be him, but there was truly no denying she was.