Six

Theodore Oliver

Theodore Oliver

"You're very good with her" Roman compliments, his eyes tracing the door where Izzy had left. I could tell my little sister was leaving an Isabelle-sized hole in his heart that only she was capable of. I knew no one was capable of disliking Izzy after they'd met her and it was the only reason I had agreed to move with Roman.

There would have been no way I would have let anyone take Izzy and me if I felt like she wouldn't be truly loved and appreciated. She had already gone through far too much for her age and was more mature than she should have ever needed to be and I knew she would get endless love and attention from all the boys, one of my memories was of them whining that I was born a boy and not the sister they had always hoped I would be.

"She's my baby sister, if I'm not good to her who will be." I shrug, brushing it off. "I think that's all the things you need, passports, birth certificates, and school transcripts. The rest of the things in the files are just like certificates the two of us have won and baby pictures, nothing important."

"I might argue that those are the most important things." Roman disagrees.

"Sure, whatever. I'm going to go help Isabelle." I stand up from the kitchen table. "Do whatever you want to here."

I barely wait for an answer taking the stairs to my room two at a time, seeing Izzy lying on her back staring up at the ceiling, it takes her a second to notice my presence.

"What has you thinking so hard there, Izzy Sky?" I ask walking towards my bed. Isabelle was lying with her head leaning back over the edge of the bed and I was standing over her looking back down at her.

"Theo, do you think Mum loved me?"

A question so innocent but it made me sad, no child should ever doubt even for a moment that they aren't loved by their parent but Isabelle had felt that by not one but both of the people she thought were her parents growing up.

I knew Dad loved me so much growing up, he had shown that in all the memories I had of him but Isabelle never knew him so she doesn't know that surreal love you get from a parent.

"I think." I pause racking my brain on correct wording. "I think people get hurt all the time from all sorts of people and some people let it go like you did when Allison Webber stole your new pencils last term but other people just hold on and on until they don't know how to feel anything but the hurt, it consumes them Izzy until they feel nothing but the hurt they've experienced. It turns them into bitter people."

"Like Mum?" Isabelle asks sitting up and I sit next to her.

"Yeah, cub, just like Mum. I think she loved you very much but the hurt doesn't allow for those types of emotions. But you know something." She hums in response waiting for me to finish. "I love you so much Isabelle, more than anyone else on the planet."

My sister kneels up and wraps her arms tightly around me, burying her head in my neck. I hold her tightly against me wanting to shield her from all the negative emotions she was probably feeling, all Izzy deserved was happiness.