Chapter 8

Sam Wilson was jogging around Washington, D

Sam Wilson was jogging around Washington, D.C. when Steve and Nova quickly caught up to him and ran past him.
"On your left." Steve said.
As Sam continued to jog the duo came around again quickly after doing another lap.
"On your left."
"Uh-huh, on my left. Got it."
As Sam was still jogging, they came around again from behind him from another lap.
"Don't say it! Don't you say it!"
"On your left!"
"Come on!"
Sam got angry and tried to catch up to them but only after a few seconds he was unable to carry on and stopped to rest.

As Sam was resting catching his breath sitting by a tree Steve and Nova walked over to him.
"Need a medic?" Nova said, sarcastically.
Sam laughed, "I need a new set of lungs. You two just ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes."
"I guess we got a late start." Steve said.
"Oh, really? You should be ashamed of yourselves. You should take another lap." Sam hesitated for a moment before saying sarcastically, "Did you just take it? I assumed you just took it."
"What unit you with?" Steve asked.
"58, Pararescue. But now I'm working down at the VA."
Sam lifted hand to shake, "Sam Wilson."
Steve gave Sam a hand to rise, "Steve Rogers."
"Nova Rogers." said, shaking his hand.
"Yeah, I kind of put that together. Must have freaked you out coming home after the whole defrosting thing." Sam said to Steve.
"It takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam."

As Steve and Nova were about to turn to leave.
"It's your bed, right?" Sam said.
"What?" Nova asked, not understanding what he meant.
"Your bed, it's too soft. When I was over there I'd sleep on the ground and use rock for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and it's like..."
"Lying on a marshmallow. Feel like I'm gonna sink right to the floor." Steve replied.
Sam smiled and nodded his head.
"How long?" Steve asked.
"Two tours. You must miss the good old days, huh?"
"I don't remember much of my life before all this... because of what I've been through... but it's okay, I guess." Nova added.
"Well, things aren't so bad. Food's a lot better, we used to boil everything. No polio is good. Internet, so helpful. I've been reading that a lot trying to catch up." Steve replied.
"Marvin Gaye, 1972, "Trouble Man" soundtrack. Everything you've missed jammed into one album."
"I'll put it on the list."
Steve got his small notebook and pen out and noted it down on his list.
Steve got a text message: "Mission alert. Extraction imminent. Meet at the curb. :)"
"Alright, Sam, duty calls. Thanks for the run. If that's what you wanna call running."
"Oh, that's how it is?"
"Oh, that's how it is."
"Okay. Any time you wanna stop by the VA, make me look awesome in front of the girl at the front desk, just let me know."
"We'll keep it in mind." Nova said.
"Okay."

Just then Natasha pulled up in her car by the curb and rolled down the window.
"Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil and a gemstone."
"I guess we all know who the gemstone is." Nova added, looking at her father with a smirk.
"That's hilarious."
Steve and Nova walked over to her car and got in, Sam gave Natasha and her car an appreciative look, "How you doing?"
"Hey."
"Can't run everywhere." Steve added.
"No, you can't."
He watched as Natasha quickly pulled away and drove off.