Chapter 11

At his home, Pierce went to his kitchen to get a drink when he saw the Winter Soldier sat behind him with his gun on the table when his housekeeper called out

"I'm going to go, Mr. Pierce. You need anything before I leave?"
"No. Uh... it's fine, Renata, you can go home."
"Okay, night-night."
"Good night."
Renata left.
"Want some milk?"
The Winter Soldier didn't reply.
"The timetable has moved. Our window is limited. Two targets, Level Six."
He poured himself a glass of milk and went over to join the Winter Soldier at the table.
"They already cost me Zola. I want confirmed death in ten hours and don't touch Black Mage, bring her to me. We've been looking for her for a long time."
Just then Renata interrupted them as she entered the kitchen.
"Sorry, Mr. Pierce, I... I forgot my phone."
She noticed the Winter Soldier.
"Oh, Renata. I wish you would have knocked."
Pierce picked up the gun from the table and shot and killed her.

⍟ⴵ

Returning home from his morning run, Sam heard a knock at his door, he opened the door to see Steve, Nova Sadie and Natasha.
"Hey, man." Sam said.
"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve declared.
"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha added.
"Not everyone." Sam said as he let them in.
Later, as Nova was cleaning herself in the bathroom, Steve noticed Natasha looking sad and thoughtful, "You okay?"
"Yeah." Natasha replied.
"What's going on?"
"When I first joined SHIELD, I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but... I guess I can't tell the difference anymore."
"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business."
"I owe you."
"It's okay."
"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, and you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?"
"I would now. And I'm always honest."
"Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing."
"Well, I guess I just like to know who I'm fighting."
Sam entered in the room as Nova got out the bathroom.
"I made breakfast. If you guys... eat that sort of thing."

"So, the question is: who in SHIELD could launch a domestic missile strike?" Natasha asked.
"Pierce." Steve replied.
"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world." Natasha added.
"But he's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star."
"So was Jasper Sitwell." Nova added.
"So, the real question is: how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a SHIELD officer in broad daylight?" Steve stated.
"The answer is: you don't." Sam replied, dropping a file in front of Steve.
"What's this?" Nova asked.
"Call it a resume."
"Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you. You didn't say he was a para-rescue." Natasha added.
"Is this Riley?"
"Yeah."
"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use, a stealth chute?" Natasha asked.
"No. These." Sam gave Steve another file and opened it.
"Cool!" Nova exclaimed.
"I thought you said you were a pilot." Steve declared.
"I never said pilot."
"I can't ask you to do this, Sam. You got out for a good reason."
"Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in." Sam replied.
"Where can we get our hands on one of these things?" Nova asked.
"The last one is at Fort Meade, behind three guarded gates and a twelve-inch steel wall."
"Shouldn't be a problem." Steve concluded.
Steve threw down the file on the table that was a classified military project called Falcon.