Chapter 15

The Avengers aircraft landed at the Avengers tower in New York where Barton was taken by Dr

The Avengers aircraft landed at the Avengers tower in New York where Barton was taken by Dr. Cho and her assistants to have his wounds tended to as Natasha followed them.
Thor got off the aircraft holding Loki's Scepter, leaving only Tony and the two Rogers.
Maria walked up to Stark, "Lab's all set up, boss."
"Uh, actually, he's the boss. I just pay for everything, and design everything and make everyone look cooler." Tony replied.
Steve turned to Maria, "What's the word on Strucker?"
"NATO's got him."
"The two enhanced?" Nova asked while Maria gave Steve a tablet with information about the Maximoff twins.

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building. Sokovia's had a rough history. It's nowhere special but it's on the way to everywhere special."
"Their abilities?" Steve added.
"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neural electric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation." Maria replied.
Steve looked at her funny, and she rephrased the statement so he could understand.
"He's fast and she's weird."
"Well, they're going to show up again." Steve added as he returned the tablet to her and pressed the elevator button.
"Agreed. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts."
Nova turned in disbelief at her, "It's madness!"
The elevator opened and the two Rogers entered, "Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?" Steve said.
"We're not at war, Captain."
"They are."
The elevator closed in front of them.

⍟ⴵ

The evening of the feast had arrived and the Avengers mingled among the people.
"Well, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So I take the tank, fly it right up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like, "Boom! You looking for this?"" Rhodes said.
Tony and Thor just looked at him blankly.
""Boom! Are you looking..." Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else that story kills."
"That's the whole story?" Thor asked.
"Yeah, it's a War Machine story."
"Well, it's very good then. It's impressive." Thor laughed.
"Quality save." Rhodes turned to Tony, "So, no Pepper? She's not coming?"
"No." Tony replied.
"Hey, what about Jane? Where are the ladies, gentlemen?" Maria asked.
"Well, Miss Potts has a company to run."
"Yes, I'm not even sure what country Jane's in. Her work on the convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer." Thor replied.
"And the company that Pepper runs is the largest tech conglomerate on earth. It's pretty exciting."
"There's even talk of Jane getting a... um, uh... Nobel prize."
Maria and Rhodes looked at each other as they spoke.
"Yeah, they... they must be busy because they'd hate missing you guys get together. Testosterone! Oh, excuse me." Maria added.
"Want a lozenge?" Rhodes asked as both chuckled.
"Um-hmm."
"Let's go." Rhodes took away Maria.
Thor whispered to Tony, "But Jane's better."

Sam and Steve were walking together.
"Sounds like a hell of a fight, sorry I missed it." Sam said.
"If I had known it was going to be a fire fight I absolutely would have called you." Steve replied.
"No, I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing persons case. Avenging is your world. Your world is crazy."
"Be it ever so humble."
"You and Nova find a place in Brooklyn yet?" Sam asked.
"I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn."
"Well, home is home, you know?"
Steve looked at the people scattered around the party.
"Where did you leave little Rogers?" Sam added.
"She should be around, I think. Last time I saw her, she was with Natasha."