04 | dangerous liasons (part II)

Mystic Falls, Virginia, 22 October 2010

"I knew that dress would be perfect for you," Niklaus said, stepping into Anastasia's room dressed in a tuxedo, with his blonde hair slicked back and styled to perfection for the ball.

Anastasia, who had been looking at herself through the mirror, sent Nik a glare through the reflection. The dress Nik had given her was of dark blue velvet with a strapless sweetheart neckline. It had a sheath silhouette, hugging her waist and hips before gently flaring out for which Anastasia was grateful, having feared that she'd be forced into a puffy ball gown.

What annoyed her a bit, however, was the train made out of blue lace and beautifully decorated with small diamonds that sparkled in the light that attached to the back of her dress and fell down to the floor. It trailed behind her when she walked.

"I had hoped you'd have more fantasy than this," Anastasia told him, turning around to face him with a glare. "I look like Anastasia."

"You are Anastasia," Nik reminded her with a cheeky smile. "And you look stunning. I will have to spend the entire evening chasing men away from you."

"Then how will you have time for your own little date," Anastasia teased. "Caroline, was it?" Then she gave him a fake, sad pout, "I can't believe you are leaving me without a date to this ball."

"Do not worry, Malenkaya printsessa, you will always be my most special girl," Klaus smiled, "and if I didn't know how much you loathe dancing, I'd promise you my first dance of the evening."

"That's so thoughtful of you," Anastasia said, rolling her eyes at him. She then turned back to look into the mirror. Her strawberry blonde hair was pulled into a high bun that was held together by a silver band decorated with diamonds that also matched the necklace she was wearing. It had been years since she looked anything near a grand duchess.

"There is nothing to worry about," Nik tried to assure her nerves.

"I hope you realise that I haven't been around that many humans in any form of social gathering for almost a century," Anastasia whined. "I don't know how to talk to people born after the twentieth century."

"You will do fine," Nik told her, then a teasing smirk appeared on his face again. "Just remember: no nagging, bragging, sweating, fretting, slipping, tripping, slurping, burping, twittering or frittering allowed. Stay present, stay pleasant," he lifted up her chin, "stay proud."

At that, she actually cracked a small smile on her own. "I will try."

.•° ♛ °•.

The ballroom filled with guests and more cars parked outside the Mikaelson mansion for every passing minute. Everyone inside was dressed to the nines for the ball and while it paled in comparison to the grand masquerades and balls that her parents would host back in the day, it was still a very fancy event.