09 | smells like teen spirit

Denver, Colorado, 28 October 2010

To annoy Klaus just a little – because recently he complained quite a lot about his siblings spending all of his money that he hadn't worked a day to earn – Anastasia and Kol checked into the Four Seasons. At first she considered getting them separate rooms but in the end she settled for one of the suites containing two bedrooms with a bathroom each and a joint living room. That way, both of them would get some privacy but Klaus wouldn't have to worry about her being murdered by some stranger in her sleep because Kol would be close by to prevent it.

Due to several traffic jams that delayed their journey by four hours, the duo didn't arrive in Denver until midnight. Anastasia was possibly exhausted by the time they finally checked into their suite. After taking a shower and changing into her pyjamas, Anya crawled into the king's sized bed and buried herself under the comfortable sheets. And the moment her head hit the pillow....

Well, naturally, all signs of sleepiness vanished. Instead of getting some well-needed rest, Anastasia decided to read a few pages in Hadji Murat by Leo Tolstoy, which ended with her finishing the entire book. Something about reading old Russian literature simply brought Anya a feeling of comfort; the world being described felt similar somehow and even when she couldn't relate to the story itself, the thought of her parents or sisters having read through the same words once upon a time made her feel closer to the life she'd lost.

Anastasia finally fell asleep about three hours after she first laid down in bed. Never one to set the alarm – since Anya didn't have any reason to leave bed unless she wanted to – she woke up well past noon the next day. Then it took her about one hour to get out of bed since she decided to use the skills acquired from countless hours spent watching crime television series to track down Jeremy Gilbert.

Klaus managed to find out that Jeremy had been compelled to go to Denver and forget about Mystic Falls but the city was fairly big; they couldn't exactly walk around town and pray they'd just bump into the youngest Gilbert. Fortunately, harmless cyberstalking was a bored girl's best friend.

Since she knew his name and face, tracking him down didn't take much time. Unfortunately Jeremy wasn't an avid Facebook user. But a few cups of coffee and a plate of English breakfast later, Anya made a breakthrough.

Earlier when her room service arrived, Anya noted how Kol's door had been open and his room empty. Then she heard him return about twenty minutes ago. Anastasia decided to share her newfound information about the Gilbert boy with him.

Kol had left his bedroom door ajar which Anastasia took as a silent invitation to enter. "I found Jeremy Gi-" Anastasia started to say only to let out a scream, hand coming up to cover her mouth as she processed the sight before her.