08 | the road trip from hell

Mystic Falls, Virginia, 25 October 2010

"Denver?" Anastasia said, staring blankly at the Original Hybrid, certain she'd misheard him. Nothing about what he just told her made any sense. Glancing over at Kol who sat down on the opposite side of the couch, just as bewildered as her. "You want us," she motioned between herself and Kol, "to go to Denver together?"

"Isn't that precisely what I just said?" Klaus asked impatiently, crossing his arms. Something about the tone of his voice suggested that the idea didn't sound too appealing to him either.

"It sounded so ridiculous I had to ask," Anastasia retorted snarkily. "You never allow me to go anywhere, and the first trip I ever get to take without you is with him," she waved her hand in the direction of the brown-eyed Original without sparing him a glance, "to Denver."

"First of all, it's not a trip," Klaus corrected her, sending a strange glance over at Kol who'd been silent far too long. Actually, Kol may never have remained silent in a conversation for this long ever before. "Second, what is wrong with Denver?" he asked, though despite clearly trying to sound positive, it sounded more like a teacher trying to get his students excited about maths.

"It's boring," Anastasia exclaimed. "So not only will I probably get murdered by You-Know-Who," she nodded her head towards Kol, "I will be killed in Denver. I can't die in Denver – it's so dull."

While she and Kol had gotten along fairly well these past few days, she'd only met him less than a week ago when he tried to drink her dry. Anastasia considered herself fairly self-aware and knew for a fact that she'd not be capable of spending a longer period of time alone with him without saying something that angered the Original to the point where he snapped her neck. She couldn't help it.

"It's not my fault the dopplegänger sent her brother to Denver instead of Rome, Paris or another city that would have been more enjoyable for you, Malenkaya printsessa," Klaus said sarcastically; she may be the light of his existence, but much like Rebekah, the grand duchess could act like a spoiled brat at times. "But at least this way, you won't let the dull city distract you from keeping an eye on Jeremy Gilbert."

"And why would I do that?" Kol spoke for the first time. "If you want somebody to do your bidding, call Elijah."

"Because," Klaus said between gritted teeth, not as accepting of Kol questioning him as he was when Anastasia did the very same, "he'll be our leverage. He is the dopplegänger's brother and the Bennett witch's ex-boyfriend."

"Oh, she dated her best friend's younger brother," Anastasia gasped dramatically. "Go, Bonnie."

"Not the point," Klaus rolled his eyes. "What matters is that since you blocked the other Bennett's powers, Bonnie is our best chance of unlinking all of us." Turning his attention back to Kol he said, "So unless you want to remain linked to the rest of us for a longer time than necessary, you'll keep an eye on Jeremy."