Chapter 14

T.W: Mature themes.

(Unedited)

Iris breathed deeply as she watched Athena and Esme talking...

"Do you think they will be alright?" Tulip asked her mother, her voice gentle and hopeful, and Iris gave her a loving smile before bringing her in her arms.

"They will be, yes," Iris affirmed certainly, watching Athena shake her head before pulling Esme in for a crushing hug, and Tulip breathed easily at the sight.

"Do you think... Will her mate ever forgive her?" when Tulip asked that, she kept her voice low and calm, and Iris looked away from Esme's smiling face only to gaze at her daughter.

"I know what you showed us was not the whole of the truth. I know Mama Esme would never have done what she did if there was not a reason for it... I trust Mama Esme, but will her mate ever will? Given the way things ended between them the last time," the maturity of Tulip's words made her mother's heart soar and she held her a bit closer before they both turned to Esme and Athena.

"I would hate to see Mama Esme get hurt again Maman. But it seems inevitable at this point," Tulip confessed to her sweet mother, she had not been able to forget the way Aaliyah disregarded her family that day and Iris could sense her uncertainty easily.

"Your Mama Esme did have her own reasons for doing what she did and... I'm afraid, she will get hurt again too--" Iris paused when Tulip pulled away from her only to give her a surprised expression and she cradled her face before speaking again.

"Sometimes, to mend broken things we need to put them back together and that can cause a lot of distress and needs way more patience. You and I both know just how impatient your Mama Esme is, do we not?" Iris's words earned her a sweet chuckle from her daughter, and she watched her beautiful face with all the love in the universe in her heart.

"I will not be wrong to say that Mama Esme is the most impatient person I have ever met and that should say a lot because Ceres and Sadie are my sisters," the princess shook her head as she recalled many memories and Iris joined her daughter as she beamed merrily.

"That is true... Esme is as impatient as Aaliayh is patient. They are a perfect match," When Iris said that, her eyes took on a hopeful and loving tint, and Tulip scoffed the moment she remembered someone she had come to dislike very strongly.

"Oh, she is patient, alright. After all, she lives with that brat Juno," the distaste in Tulip's voice was not lost on Iris and she pursed her lips as she thought back to the way Juno was glaring at Esme, the girl hated her to no end.

"Juno is... a brat," when Iris lingered, trying to come up with a nicer word to describe Juno, Tulip looked up at her Maman with a knowing grin which turned into giggles when her mother gave up in the end.

"She really is! You have no idea how badly I wanted to put one of Sadie's special spells on her before she left," Tulip admitted to her Maman with an unfulfilled scowl and Iris chuckled before kissing her head several times.

"Thank you for not doing so, my heart. Although a brat, Juno did not deserve that... And it could have caused Aaliyah to hate us even more," Iris was not surprised to find Tulip's giggles morphing into a somber look and she waited for her to speak her mind.

"She truly does hate us all, does she not? I understand that their past warrants her animosity towards Mama Esme but... The way she talked to Grandma? The way she belittled her and... The way she made you--" Tulip cut herself off the moment she felt her magic hissing in anger and Iris pressed her daughter to her heart, using her magic to ease hers.

"She is hurt, my heart. She has been hurting for over a thousand years now... She believed Mother betrayed her, she never saw your Grandmother for who she truly is and... I can not find it in my heart to blame her after knowing how unfair Esme had been to her," Iris tried to make her daughter understand, hoping she would give the dragon another chance, and even when Tulip did get it, she could not just accept it.