Chapter 34

T.W: violence, blood, trauma, death.
___________________________________

(Unedited)

Thousands of years ago...

After uncovering the White Dragon's scale that hauled the tiniest speck of Almighty's power, the coven of dark witches mobilized their best to search for the one worthy enough to wield it. Although it took them hundreds of years, the witches refused to give up and when they realized they needed something far stronger for their task, they used their magic to create the most vile and brutal hunters to have ever existed. These hunters were creatures with immense powers who had willingly given up their lives to serve the coven and in return, through an extremely fatal and the most unbearable process, they were granted the abilities of several supernaturals. Unfortunately for the coven, only a few out of a thousand volunteers could survive the ritual, but those who did were superior to almost all their peers.

It was the leader of the hunters who found Esme.

"Are you sure this is the place?" spoke Orion, his face marred with disgust as he gazed at the small village that smelled worse than it looked, and the one standing beside him nodded calmly.

"Yes, sire, I am sure. All tales lead to this village--" the servant had not even finished his words when Orion's large hand was choking the life out of him and the other hunters simply watched.

"If your words prove to be false, I will make you wish you had died at this moment," Orion told him in the most sinister voice, his eyes fully black as he looked at the terrified servant, and when he let go of him, the human ran away from them at once.

"Must we do this? Anyone who comes out of this dirt can surely not be the one," spoke another hunter, Grimma, and Orion grunted unhappily when she clung to his arm suggestively, pushing her away without trouble.

"Our orders were clear, Grimma. Do not forget why you are here!" he hissed at the woman then, noticing the fear and submission in her eyes, and they all stayed put when he began walking towards the village.

On his way inside the village, Orion bumped into someone.

"Oh, my apologies! I did not see you there," it was a human, Orion could tell and the way they smiled at him made his skin crawl, causing him to glare at them before continuing to walk.

"I hate humans," Orion grumbled under his breath before using his shapeshifting powers only to take the human's face since he knew they were leaving the village and he ignored anyone who waved his way as he continued his search.

Pulling the hood of their black cloak that was the symbol of hunters over their head, Orion hissed under his breath for he hated the way everyone was smiling at him or greeting him. He realized he must have chosen the worst human face to steal. But Orion refused to let that hinder him as he subtly sniffed the air, trying to pick up on any unique scents or light magic, and when he had swept the whole village only to discover nothing, he used his unnaturally developed telepathy to demand his hunters to fetch the human servant. Of course, Grimma was the most eager to satisfy him so he could return the pleasure later that night and Orion spit on the ground as he decided to return to the coven, knowing the head witch would be utterly disappointed in him.

Orion had taken only a single step forward when he heard screams.

"Help! Somebody help me! My son is drowning!" a woman was screaming somewhere not that far away from him and while the humans remained unaware, Orion found himself following the screams at once.

"Help! Somebody, please!" the woman's yelling became clearer the more he walked, a strange intrigue pinching his lungs, and he soon found the drowning child whose mother was weeping at the bank of a furious river.