Chapter 30

(Unedited)

Nyx sighed as they watched their best friend.

"N-no... Amaya... No, please... Stop-- Amaya!" the woman yelled herself awake, sweating profusely as she heaved on the bed, and when her eyes found Nyx, she could not recognize her.

"It's me, Xari," Nyx mumbled tiredly, they had been up all night as they watched over their best friend and Xaria shook her head, gradually coming back to herself as she calmed down.

"I am worried, Xari. This does not look normal," Nyx mumbled sadly, sitting up in the armchair she had spent all night in and Xaria glanced behind her best friend when she felt something that broke her heart.

"She is the same as before. Queen Rayelle is staying with her and... She is even worse than you," Nyx knew what her best friend was feeling, for this was the umpteenth time this had happened, and when Xaria jumped to her feet to go to Aaliyah, her legs wobbled.

"Xaria, you can't go to her like this-- Xari!" when she was about to fall, Nyx grabbed onto their tall best friend at once and the poor human groaned as they both fell to the floor, she was not strong enough for it.

"I-I have to go to her. She is in...pain," Xaria winced herself, leaning her back against the bed as she heaved and Nyx could only watch helplessly as she began weeping again.

"I have never seen you like this before... I thought you were supposed to get stronger once you got your memories and powers back. But you have only gotten worse," the concern in Nyx's voice was sharp, their eyes observing their best friend as she cried openly, and it took Xaria a while before she could reply.

"I have missed so much, Nyx. I have... All those years spent in the human realm were wasted because... Because the one person I was born to love and protect was imprisoned by some maniacs and she had to suffer all alone. I-I... I am her mate, Nyx, I was supposed to never let that happen and I failed. I failed and now she hates me. She hates me so much that she will not even see me," the woman cried helplessly, the ache in her chest only growing and Nyx sighed deeply, shaking their head.

"I have so many questions right now... Like, if you were born in this realm then how did you get to our world? And why did your Amaya leave you there in the first place? Or did you send her away for some abhorred reason? Also, why is there a huge freaking part of your memory missing?" Nyx rambled fast, they were too confused about the whole ordeal, and Xaria sniffed before wiping her eyes with the heel of her palm.

"I don't... I don't know, Nyx. I don't have those answers too. The last memory I have of Amaya is..." Xaria paused, unsure how Nyx would react if she finally confessed to seeing what she did, and Nyx watched her closely, keenly.

"I know Amaya was in the human realm with me. I have this memory, it is the very first memory I have of my life in the human realm, and... And she was there with me. All those centuries ago and she... She was there when I first died," when Xaria said that, so timidly and unsurely, Nyx's heart sank and they wrapped their arm around her before kissing her head.

"I wish she could just come back already, I can't stand to see you like this anymore. I like you better when you're being all cocky and teasing me about my height. This Xari sucks," Nyx grumbled sadly, holding their best friend close and Xaria smiled at their words, nestling closer to her too.

"I still stand by my words, Nyxie, we would have made the best couple. With my good looks and height and your, uh, your cooking, we'd make the perfect kids," Xaria teased in a nimble tone and Nyx moved back only to pin them with a scowl that did not stay in place for too long.

"I have questions, Xari," when Nyx said that, with such an adorable serious expression on her face, Xaria nodded at once and then they sat facing each other on the floor.