If you are mute and deaf (My Time At Portia)

Arlo:

He was told by Gale so he knew what to expect about the new builder. He decided he should come greet you first so he went to your place to see you outside it, staring at the rundown house. He approached and stood aside you, hoping you will sense his presence but you didn't so he waved his hand to your side a bit so you jumped in surprise then twirled so he held up his hands, assuring you with a smile he didn't mean to surprise you but he was unsure how else to get your attention. He held out his hand, introducing himself, awkwardly adding with a chuckle he's hoping you can read his lips. You shook his hand, moving your head in a a way to say "a little" so he said good then assured you you can always come to him for anything as he's with the civil Corps. Every time he passes you by he will wave or he wants to go somewhere that not everyone will be asking stuff of him he will stay at your place a bit; not wanting to talk but just wanting the quiet company. You don't mind as he does his thing and lets you work in peace.

Sam:

She got so intrigued. She sneaked around to spy on you for a bit, trying to see how she could approach you and trying to see from other conversations you have with others if you can read lips or such. So once she gathered enough information she felt confident enough to approach you and start working up a conversation. Only months after knowing each other did she awkwardly admit to having spied on you because she was so nervous as she never met a deaf/mute person before. She's always ready to come help you out with anything, and is always assuring you to just come get her if you are having trouble communicating something to someone.

Gust:

He didn't think much of it at first, just found it interesting, sighing something exciting might finally happen to Portia. Whenever he walked past you and you waved at him he was never sure if he should even greet you since you wouldn't even hear it but he always waved back. At first whenever he spoke to you it was very awkward, clearly in a tone wondering if he should even be talking and if you can even understand him now. But eventually he got used to it and just began talking to you like he would to anyone else so you can feel normal, and after a while he began understanding all your gestures so he was also able to just talk back to you using the gestures.

Ginger:

She was actually very happy as your disabilities made her feel able to connect with someone finally. She's always sending you latters asking you to come over at least once a week, loving the time you both spend together. She admitted this to you even, telling you she loves the people in Portia but she never felt a bond with any of them, but with you she does so she's very happy. She likes to have long conversations with you, which she will usually give you a notebook for so you can write out a lot. She's very patient while you are scribbling down, also assuring you to just take your time as she has all day, literally.

Albert:

He never thought of you as less or being capable of less because of your disabilities. He has to work with you a lot though so at first it was quite awkward as he was never sure how to tell you what has to be done, let you in on the details, explain what he really needs, and what to focus on. And as time went, it didn't get fixed much. He was still bad at it but at least now he has trust that he can just give you any commission paper and you will build exactly what he's imagining in his mind.

Sonia:

When Gale introduced you to everyone and added you might be deaf and mute but he's certain you will be an excellent builder Sonia couldn't help but let out a gasped "oh my" then immediately whisper about it with Antione and Emily later. She admitted she's curious to encounter this new builder, having never spoken or even seen a mute and/or deaf person before. So when you came by the restaurant she was quick to hurry to you, unsure how to approach this situation then just asked if she can help you. You took the menu and tapped all you wanted so she scribbled it down then happily said of course coming up. She liked you and was always excited when you stopped by; never rushing you as you tap all you need on the list, talking to you like she would to any other customer so you can feel included and normal. When you struggle understanding her she will write on her notebook what she's saying then show it to you to help you understand her.

Dr. Xu:

He's a doctor so of course he didn't mind and treated you like he would any other person. He knew the best out of everyone how to communicate with you, having learned a little bit of sign language in other cities as Portia doesn't know sign language, which made him decide to finally do so. So he or Phyllis will give classes weekly at the school to teach the children sign language. Whenever he sees you he will approach you, asking you how it's going and assuring you you can always drop by if you want to talk with someone.

Alice:

The first few times when you passed by her shop when you first came she noticed something was off about you. When you finally stopped at her shop for the first time she greeted you but you were too staring at the beautiful flowers so she took it as you being too focused to have heard her. When you picked some roses and looked at her she told you the price. She noticed your eyes weren't on hers but her lips. As you pulled out coins and held it to her she awkwardly told you that's not enough. You didn't react so she began slowly piecing it together then held up her fingers, telling you you are short this much. So you handed the missing amount making her smile and thank you then wave bye. After that she learned to always just hold up her fingers and pronounce each word very clearly and slowly. It also helped to inspire a character for her book.