16 || Breakfast Encounters

(Unedited, Not Proofread, 4207 words)
Trigger Warnings: Mentions of death, cursing, light gore

Jonah's alarm wakes me up about twenty seconds before mine goes off. We all start shifting and swinging our arms to turn the blaring alarms off until the room is drenched in silence. I stay still for several seconds longer, listening to Jonah stretching and groaning a few feet away.

I open my eyes before he finishes and look at the wall in front of me for a moment, easing myself back into the energies of the hotel before I fully get up. I beat the others out of bed, so I decide to take the bathroom first.

After brushing my teeth and my hair and putting on deodorant, I head back out and get my clothes ready to change into. Mike and Abby head into the bathroom, and when they do, Jonah and I turn away from each other so we can get dressed.

"What store do you think she's taking us to?" Jonah asks, sitting down roughly on his bed after fighting his pants on. "Ghost store? Halloween store?"

"Makaylen has too much pride to take me to a Halloween store," I say with a laugh, pulling the Nirvana shirt on before the black hoodie. I bite off all the tags and peel off the stickers before I add cargo pants and a new pair of socks. When I'm finished, I stretch my arms above my head and relax back down into the new clothes.

Thank you a million times over, Kaylen.

"What about that one smoke shop back in New Orleans?" he asks. "The one with like... the sage or whatever it is burning by the door." 

"Jonah, I hate to break it do you, but that isn't sage," I mumble, shaking my head. "But yeah, the little superstition corner in there is kind of what I need right now." 

"What would you get to help us?" he questions, laying back down with his arms behind his head, his eyes on me as I stretch the cuffs of the hoodie out with my hands. 

"I'd start with gemstones," I admit, looking at my hoodie sleeves instead of him. "My affinity for energies would amplify the effects of any crystals I own. Amethyst and smoky quartz are probably our best bets, but the chance of the stores having them— especially in this small town— are low."

"What do they do?" he asks. 

"Amethyst is mostly known for its protection and ability to enhance spirituality. Some people use it to avoid temptation or to prevent dangerous conditions. Having it would be good for the group, you know?" I offer, wondering for a moment if I sound a bit insane. I've known about crystals since I met Annabeth. Her mother was a big crystal-enthusiast even though she despised anything ghost-related. She believed in their properties and let Annabeth and I read from any of her mountain of books about them. 

My worries about being considered crazy dissipate when Jonah asks, "And what about quartz?" 

"Smoky quartz specifically is known for its ability to absorb bad energies and prevent influence. If we can, I need to get you, me, and Abby some since we seem to be the most... susceptible to empathic feelings," I explain, and Jonah chuckles nervously. 

"Beyond that, I'd need to read a bit about them," I admit, "my knowledge only goes as far back as I can remember from Annabeth's house, and we both know those memories have long since been... gone." 

"Right," he mumbles, nodding a bit. 

Amethyst and smokey quartz. It's a wonder I still remember them.

It takes us a while to get dressed and ready, but once we are, we meet Makaylen in the hall and she tosses Jonah his keys with the calm statement, "We're going in the same car. Don't make any breaks for yours."