Epilogue Part Three: Jonah's Birthday

(Unedited, Not Proofread, 2154 words)
Trigger Warnings: None (really bad grammar and spelling smh)

We had Jonah's eighteenth birthday party at a skating rink. It was more for his little sisters' entertainment, but Jonah didn't mind. He spent most of his time playing arcade games to get tickets so he could buy Carter the Nerf gun on the top shelf. 

Because Jonah's birthday is so close to the twins' birthday, we decided to have both on the same day in the same place, so there's a lot of people here. I don't recognize many of the people here, but the ones I do, I keep a close eye on. 

Kaylen, Mike, and I are playing cards on a table with three half-eaten slices of pizza and a slushie that was once mine but now belongs almost exclusively to Mike. I lean over every now and then to take a sip, but Mike has been the one who goes to refill it, so he has first claim if he wants to drink some. As far as the card game goes, Kaylen is beating us miserably. So much so that we've decided to team up, and yet we're still losing. 

Abby has made friends with Willow, so the two girls are out on the skating rink teaching teach other how to balance. Jessie and Jupiter are behind them, both significantly better at skating and having the time of their lives laughing at the other two every time they fall. The twins are off with their friends in the play structures in the back of the building, we can hear them all screaming and laughing, their voices rising and falling as they explore new levels of the playground. 

"I win again," Kaylen laughs, tossing her cards down onto the table. 

"How?" I exclaim, throwing my cards down as well and leaning back in the booth seat, my arms across my chest. "You're cheating, you have to be." 

"Surely," Mike mumbles, setting his hand down to reveal worthless cards. 

"Yeah, yeah," Kaylen chuckles, scooping all the cards over to her so she can shuffle again. 

"Hey, I'm gonna go refill the drink again," Mike chimes, taking the top off of the slushie and handing it to me. "Do you want red again?" 

"You can get whatever," I reply, trying to look around Kaylen's head to see the machine. "Was it blue that you wanted? You can get that." 

"Alright, I'll be back in a second." He climbs out of the booth and heads over to the machine, and the three spirits who had been watching our card game follow him over. I watch them for a second, then my eyes shift to Mike, and then I turn my attention back to Kaylen. 

Just to find her smirking at me. 

"What?" I ask, and she shakes her head and looks back down at the cards she's shuffling. "Kaylen, what?" I laugh a bit, trying to lean down to catch her gaze. 

"You two are getting along well," she mumbles, and I quickly sit up straight. 

"Well, yeah. I go see him and Abby all the time," I reply, furrowing my brows. "We've talked about this. You drive me there."

"You know that's not what I mean," she laughs, starting to lay the cards down. 

In her defense, I have been spending every Thursday and Friday afternoon at the Schmidt house, but I spend it with Abby helping her do homework and crafts while Mike is still at work. I keep her company; I don't spend my time with him at all. The only time we do spend together is when he's making dinner and Abby wants some alone time, but other than that, I only spend time with her. And I'll stand by that. 

"We're just friends, Kaylen. Don't make this into something it isn't," I mumble, annoyed that she'd try to make a scene about something that doesn't constitute any thought. She shrugs and passes me my stack of cards, and the conversation ends there.