20 || A... Plan?

(Unedited, Not Proofread, 3660 words)
Trigger Warnings: Mentions of death/murder

Hey, you need to wake up.

What? Why am I asleep?

You're not. You're unconscious.

I am?

You have been. That girl you were with is trying to explain what's going on, she needs your help. Wake up.

How?

I don't know. Open your eyes?

Who are you?

You'll see.

"Abby!" I half-shout as my eyes open and my body snaps back into action. I sit up, kicking my legs out and scrambling backwards as my eyes adjust to the sunlight.

"Josie! Josie!" I hear Jonah yelling, and a hand grabs my wrist and holds me in place. I blink away the brightness until I can see clearly, and I find all four of my friends sitting in front of me. Mike holds my right wrist with his left hand, his gaze on mine and lips pressed shut. Jonah sits a little to the left, having kicked himself up to his knees and reaching his right hand out for me. It has since fallen lightly to the ground. Kaylen sits in front of me with Abby in her lap, the little girl staring at me with wide eyes and the ghost of a smile on her face.

The sun shines bright overhead, but cold air and cold clothes and cold asphalt are the only temperatures I feel on my skin. My body begins shaking, but I quickly realize it's more because of the tears in my eyes and the cries on my lips than the cold.

"Josie—" Jonah says gently. Mike lets go of my wrist and moves closer, a movement that Jonah mimics soon after. I look at them both for a moment, my hands shaking as my mind tries to wrap around everything that's happened. 

I passed out in there.

I could've died. 

I dropped Abby. 

She could've died.

"Abby," I whisper, trying to hold the tears in even as they streak down my face. "Abby, I'm sorry."

Her lips press together as her eyes tear up. Something in her expression and the way she fidgets with her hands hides the emotion that's supposed to tell me if she has forgiven me or not. I open my mouth to apologize again, but she leaps out of Kaylen's lap and collapses into mine, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"I'm so sorry," I cry, wrapping my arms around her. "I was so scared, I'm sorry."

"I was too," she says gently, and somehow that comforts me. I know I'm forgiven then.

Abby stays with me, even as the conversation shifts topics and my tears begin to dry up.

"What happened?" I ask, looking around at the group. "After I went down. I remember hitting the ground and someone grabbed me."

"Well, Abby came out screaming," Kaylen explains, her expression unreadable as she stares at my legs rather than at me or the ground itself. "Jonah realized you weren't with her and darted in and once Mike got Abby into my hands, he followed Jonah."

Naturally, I turn to Jonah to hear his side of the story, but it's Mike who picks up the next piece. "You were on the ground. Abby told us Mangle was there, but the hallway was empty. No Mangle, no Puppet." He pauses for a moment, glancing away with his mouth slightly open, so I know he has more to say. Before I have too much time to speculate what he might be preparing to say, he admits, "I carried you out as quick as I could. Didn't want to risk any more accidents."