Chapter 61 First Errand and I Met a Fish

Chapter 61

"What do you mean the sack is empty!?" Nate growled at the twins, each holding a sack in hand where our lunch should be.

"Like we said, the sack was hanging upside down. Our food must have fallen along the way." Ren deadpanned and leveled Nate's murderous gaze with his own.

"How could you both not have noticed anything!?"

"Gee, let me think." Dan stepped forward and tapped his chin three times before looking at Nate with a not-so-happy look.

"We were busy blocking you out and away from Rose because you kept flirting with her!"

As I stood there watching the three of them argue, I patted Cloud. Cloud and I were getting along fine, and she seemed to like me because I kept feeding her apples. "Here, Cloud." I cooed at her and handed her an apple. As I watched her take the fruit from my palm and eat it, I grinned. I think it's adorable when her lips move to eat.

I always dreamed of having a pony when I was a little girl. But now, thanks to Nate, I have one. And she's a very pretty girl that it just makes me want to spoil her.

"It was one job. One job for the two of you to keep an eye on our food and yet you can't handle it!?" Nate bellowed.

Ace was standing not far from them, looking tired. His head cast downward, and one of his hands is rubbing the bridge of his nose. I say give it about 10 seconds before he would start to explode.

"Well, if you are so concerned about the food, then why don't you carry it?" Ren shot back.

"And make you idiots carry our sleeping bags? Forget it!"

"Are you implying that we can't be trusted with our belongings!?"

"What else could it mean?!"

I took another apple from my saddlebag and fed it to Cloud when she nudged me for more. She's just too cute not to feed. I can just cuddle with her all day!

"Fine! You know what? Since you two lost our lunch, then we might as well eat the fruits that we got." Nate said just as Cloud finished her apple.

"Rose!" I jumped at the sound of my name.

I stopped petting Cloud and turned to the princes. "Yes?"

"You got our fruits, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah. In my saddlebag." I pointed my thumb to the saddlebag at Cloud. Nate nodded and gave the twins one last glare before heading towards Cloud.

He paused and opened the saddlebag before turning towards me. "Is this the bag?" I made my way beside him and checked to see if it was the right pocket.

"It is," I confirmed.

"It's empty." He said.

My eyebrow shot up. "Empty? It can't be. It was full of appl-" I stopped as soon as the realization hit me.

Oh boy. Don't tell me that I got so caught up in feeding Cloud that I fed all our apples to her. I gulped and turned to face Cloud, who flicked her tail in excitement when our eyes met.

Well, at least she's cute.

"Uhm...Rose? You were talking about apples?" Asked Nate to give me a scrutinizing look.

Oh well. I might as well play dumb and clueless because I am pretty positive that they won't like it when I tell them the truth.

"I'm pretty sure that it was full of apples before we left!" I said and made my voice rise as if I was as confused and distressed as I looked. Plus, I know Nate, and he has a soft spot for girls who are on the verge of tears.