7

. . .

It was Friday.

Right after school, Kuroo had forced you to go home with him, but he had to drop his stuff off at home so you went first.

It was only about 4 blocks away.

"Glad my parents aren't home." You celebrated. The whole house to yourself for about 5 minutes until Kuroo caught up with you.

You tossed your bag onto the ground, immediately heading to the staircase.

Until you heard an odd creak.

Nobody was home, though. And that creak had not come from where you were. Something special about where it came from was that it only creaked if someone stepped there.

"Uh, tetsurou?.... Are you here earlier than me?" You asked, trying to distract your nerves by projecting your voice.

Impossible. He was behind me.

You got flashbacks from 2nd grade, when your father would sit in silence and only yell at you when your guard was down. When you thought nobody was home. He did that to blow off steam.

It had to be Kuroo right? Unless your mom decided to stay home. Panic began to kick in, hearing complete silence. The silence was driving you crazy, building up suspense.

"Y/n?" You flinched and screamed.

"Y/n calm down, it's me!" Kuroo entered your house and placed both hands on your shoulders. "Are you okay?"

"Shhh, I think....someone else is here." Your eyes got teary and your voice was trembling, but now that Kuroo was here, you felt safer. He cupped your face, noticing you were shaking and had watery eyes.

Without questioning it, Kuroo took your arm and forced you behind him. He didn't let go.

"Okay, y/n, we're going to go to your room, okay? Stay behind me." He whispered, grabbing a rolling pin from the kitchen.

You two went upstairs, as he stuck out the rolling pin in front of him. You were still scared of being behind, so you put your arms around his waist.

Upon entering the room, he instantly turned around, and closed the door.

"Phew, now that we're safe, what did you hear??" He questioned. "It was a creak."

Then, he deadpanned. "A single creak got you shaking? What's wrong??"

"No, it's not that. It's that, it came from a part of the kitchen that only creaks if someone's there." You then got chills, feeling even more scared. "A-and...when I was young—"

They could still be there.

He noticed you were still scared and shaking, so he pulled you close to his chest, still holding the rolling pin. Hugging Kuroo did relieve some fear. As long as you knew someone else was there to protect you and be by your side.

"Did you hear that?" You asked.

"Hear what?"

Then, there it was. Approaching footsteps that got louder and louder.

"Y/n, go hide under your bed."

"What? No, what about—"

"Just do it."

But before you could approach, the door swung open and Kuroo threw the rolling pin at the figure.

"OW!" Bokuto screamed, clenching his head.

"Bokuto?!" You and Kuroo yelled in unison. "Why did you not say anything?"

"I had my new headphones on, wanna try?!"

"No." Kuroo bursted his bubble. "You've scared the shit out of us. What are you here for?"

"My hoodie."

Kuroo let Bokuto grab it, but he demanded that Bokuto leave, after seeing your reaction to this situation. He wanted alone time with you.

Once Bokuto left the house, Kuroo and you sat on the bed in your room. With the door closed.

"Thanks..for protecting me." You eventually got out. You were feeling a lot better of course. But the eerie feelings you've been experiencing walking home, and outside of the gym that one day. It felt so off.

"Of course, y/n. If you ever need me just call me, okay? I'll come over." Although you two were sitting down on the bed next to eachother, he pulled you closer to hug one more time.

You didn't fight it and he placed his chin on top of your head. His body was firm and big, but warm.  Your ear was right at his chest, hearing every heartbeat. His was stable.

You couldn't help but feel safe. You needed him around.

"Y/n? Can I ask you something?" He played with the ends of your hair in one hand and your hand with the other. "Yeah."

"How come you were so terrified when you heard a noise?" He knew it was valid to be scared, but he was surprised at how scared you were. Kuroo guessed it had something to do with your dad though, hearing things from his own mother.

"Well, before we met. My dad...he'd do this weird thing whenever he had a bad day. Usually he works overtime, but when he has a bad day he comes home early and sits in his room doing god knows what. But it'll be dead silent. If I ever made a noise he'd make the slightest bit of noise.."

Kuroo leaned toward you, listening carefully. He continued to play with your hand, massaging it and even holding it.

"I would brush it off until I realized he was right behind me. And then he'd start yelling at me, cursing at me. I didn't tell my mom about it for months, because I was scared he would actually do something to me." You were scared how Kuroo would react. It felt unfamiliar but easy to be vulnerable with him.

"I'm sorry. That sounds terrible."

"Sometimes I'm scared he's going to come back."

"You're safer now y/n." Because I won't let anything happen to you. He thought. You were completely better now. You felt safe, appreciated and warm. You felt incredibly thankful for Kuroo.

But it began kicking in that you were in his embrace the entire time, he was playing with your hands and your hair, and that there was literally no distance between you two.

Your heart beat picked up the pace and you felt your cheeks getting warmer.

"Hey, tetsurou...can you walk me home now, too?" You knew you fought it for weeks now, but you needed him to be next to you. "Yeah of course."

Kuroo patted you in the most comfortable areas, almost putting you to sleep.

The sound of his heartbeat, his voice, and these sensations eventually knocked you out.