CHAPTER 8 - CALLUM

Night was falling over Santa Monica. The illuminated pier could be seen with colorful lights, and the gentle ocean breeze added a special touch to the evening.

The party at Santa Monica Beach was in full swing, with the sound of waves and lively music echoing from the speakers. People danced barefoot in the sand, some around a bonfire. The surfers who brought them there were already in the water with their boards.

Callum watched Dylan from afar, realizing that his friend's happiness had led him to try more of the local drink, whose origin was impossible to decipher. The festive atmosphere contrasted with the evident concern on Zack's face. Callum knew that Dylan was not resistant to alcohol, especially when its origin was uncertain. He didn't look well at all. As he watched his friends, he noticed that Zack also didn't seem to be in his best state; his eyes were fixed on the sea for longer than necessary, and his phone never left his hands.

"Hey, are you okay?" Zack inquired, concerned, while Dylan tried to disguise his discomfort.

"I just need some fresh air," Dylan replied with a forced smile.

"Come on, I'll take you to the hotel. I need to get out of here too." Zack pulled Dylan away, practically carrying him.

Santa Monica Beach continued bustling, indifferent to the departure of the two. Even amidst the excitement, Callum perceived the duality between celebration and the worries that hung over his friends. Dylan, still forcing a smile, threw a request to Callum as he passed by.

"Take care of Luna for me." The request echoed in Callum's mind as he watched his friends walk away toward the hotel, leaving him alone in the effervescent atmosphere of the party.

The sea breeze and the wind passed through Callum, relaxing him. It was one of the few times he didn't feel the need for a cigarette. That was enough for the moment.

Callum stood there for a few moments, absorbing the energy of the party and reflecting on the situation. Tracy had distanced herself from him as soon as they arrived at the beach. She was with the surfers and Shay. The two seemed to be in another reality. He liked seeing Shay happy like that, laughing. He always wanted the best for his friend.

He maintained his posture and began to walk along the sand, taking in everything around him. With hands in his pockets and free from the need for a cigarette, the sea breeze tousled his hair as he followed his own path, lost in his thoughts.

He approached the area where a volleyball game was taking place on the beach. Luna was sitting in the sand, watching people play.

"Do you like volleyball?" Luna jumped and put her hand to her heart with the guy's approach. "Sorry." He opened a smile, sitting next to her.

"I'm not really into sports. But I always watched Blake in his games."

"He plays?"

"He used to be part of the school's football team. He was the captain and everything." Luna smiled as she remembered the past.

"So, does that mean he has a life away from you?" Callum looked at her, waiting for her reaction.

"What do you mean?" She frowned.

"Every time I see you guys together, he doesn't leave your side. He seems like your security. Did your dad hire him to keep you in line?" he teased.

Luna pushed him with her hand, and he went face-first into the sand. Callum started coughing.

"Oh, stop it. It wasn't that strong; you didn't swallow any sand."

Callum composed himself, wiping the sand from his face and laughing at the situation.