CHAPTER 12 - CALLUM

The band had been invited to participate in a university radio interview. It would be their first interview. Callum was anxious with so much happening in his life. The band was gaining recognition, and now they had the opportunity to share more about their journey on the local radio.

Hunter couldn't stop drumming on things in rhythm; Dylan was moving his leg frantically; Zack was more reserved, but he kept glancing at his darn phone; Shay was chatting with people passing in the hallway—she was very friendly and outgoing, and Callum kept spinning an unlit cigarette between his fingers, waiting to be called.

They were in a small room outside the radio booth. People walked by, looking inside, curious. Some even recognized the band, commenting on the show and a possible upcoming contract. Zack called Vanessa on Monday, as agreed. Her instructions were clear: promote more before her visit to Rhode Island next week. This meant accepting any interview and event that would boost the band's growth. The radio invitation had come two nights ago. They would answer some questions about the band and personal questions about the members.

"You can come in," a male voice distracted Callum from his thoughts.

Everyone stood up quickly in sync, excited and eager for what was to come.

"Good luck, guys. I'll be listening!" Tracy quickly appeared with a charming smile before stepping away again.

Inside the booth, the atmosphere changed instantly. The soft light and broadcasting equipment created a sense of intimacy and importance simultaneously. The band settled into their seats, microphones in front of them, preparing to give voice to their experiences and music.

The interviewer was a new guy studying on campus; he had dark hair falling over his face and black-painted nails.

"Hello, folks! I'm Max, and we're here on Sounded Campus with the incredible High Voltage band. How are you feeling today?"

Callum, still spinning the unlit cigarette between his fingers, nervously smiled, feeling the adrenaline of the situation.

"We're excited, man. It's a great opportunity to share our journey and our music with everyone," Zack replied with a huge smile.

"Great to have you! Let's start by getting to know a bit more about each of you. Zack, as the band leader, what's it like? How does it impact your personal life?"

"We don't exactly have a leader; we all share responsibilities, and it keeps us united like a family. In personal life..." Zack continued. "Well, I guess everyone knows being a musician has its challenges, but with the support of the guys and our friends and family, we manage to overcome everything."

Callum was gradually calming down, seeing that his friends were handling it well, and that he needed to compose himself. After taking a deep breath, he put the unlit cigarette in his pocket and opened a smile.

Max, a guy with an aura of authenticity and rebellion, continued the conversation in a relaxed tone.

"Got it, Zack. It seems your dynamics are really unique. And, Callum, how do you guys handle pressure and expectations?"

Callum, now more relaxed, looked at Zack before answering sincerely, "We share responsibilities, as Zack mentioned, but, of course, there's always some pressure. I think it's part of the game. At the end of the day, we trust each other, and that makes all the difference. In personal life, I've learned to balance the demands of music with moments of tranquility. We have our ups and downs, but this connection we have as a band and friends, above all, helps us overcome challenges."

Max smiled, showing he understood the complexity of life in this musical environment, before turning to Hunter.

"Hunter, as the drummer, you seem to be the energy source of the band. How do you keep that vibrant spirit in your shows?"