CHAPTER 10 - CALLUM

The street was full of potholes, and Callum struggled to avoid them without hitting another one. Tracy, beside him, seemed unfazed by the car bouncing every five seconds. She remained immersed in her own world, as she always did when they were alone. Even though it was for a short time, Callum was bothered by it. He wanted to understand why she didn't like him that way but at the same time wanted to show him off to the world.

After a moment of silence, Callum decided to address the issue.

"Tracy, can I ask you something?"

She glanced away for a brief moment before responding.

"Sure, Cal, what's up?"

"I feel that when we're alone, you distance yourself. But when we're with other people, it's like we want everyone to know we're together. It confuses me a bit. I want to understand."

Tracy sighed, seeming to contemplate how to express her feelings.

"It's not about you, Callum. It's about me. I'm afraid to open up completely."

"Fear of what?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Of what might happen." She paused for a moment. "Fear of what might happen to me. What people will think of me and how they'll treat me."

"But I still don't get it. Are you afraid of how I'll treat you?"

"Not you. But the world. I ended up creating a persona unintentionally to protect myself."

Callum remained silent, processing Tracy's words. He could see vulnerability in her eyes, something she normally hid behind a carefree facade.

"Tracy, I don't want you to feel like you need to hide. I like who you really are, without masks. And if the world doesn't accept it, that's the world's problem, not yours."

Tracy looked at him with gratitude but also with a trace of uncertainty.

"Callum, I know you say that, but it's easier said than done. The scars from the past are complicated."

"I understand, Tracy. But I'm willing to stand by your side, no matter what happens. If you want to open up more, I'm here to listen. I can be your friend." He reached his hand to hers, squeezing it firmly.

Tracy smiled, a mix of sadness and relief.

"Thank you, Callum. That means a lot to me."

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on?"

"It's just that..." She sighed. "I like girls."

Callum suddenly braked; he wasn't expecting this answer. He expected anything but this. Tracy lowered her head.

"But that's wonderful. I like girls too." Callum held back a laugh, relieved that she finally shared an important part of who she was.

Tracy looked up, surprised by Callum's positive reaction.

"You're not shocked?"

"Of course not. You're the same amazing person you've always been. Liking girls doesn't change anything for me, Tracy. It just means you've shared something more about who you are now."

Tracy let out a nervous laugh, realizing that Callum's genuine acceptance was exactly what she needed.

"Thank you for being so understanding, Callum."

"Now I understand everything. You wanted to show everyone that you had a boyfriend so no one would suspect anything."

Tracy grimaced, surprised by Callum's deduction.