Chapter 4

It wasn't long before Joe sat in her place. He bend his legs and rested his hands on his knees, while steering the ice cubes in his glass.

„I found the dress." She smiled, turning to him.

He nodded, looking at the water. „That's good."

„Look Joe, I'm sorry..." Ann's sighed. „I may have overreacted."

„It's fine." He said under his breath and pushed his head down.

„Joe, talk to me. I need to know how you feel about all this." She frowned, trying to get his attention.

He looked up at the water again and then at Ann. „You really want to know?"

„Of course." She said with sad eyes.

„One day I'm at stage, thousands of people watching me, screaming my name and making me feel like a rockstar. Like I'm on top of the world. The next day I come home and I feel... like a failure. And you continue to acknowledge it to me. You continue to bring me down." He looked at the sand, brushing a hand through it. „I don't feel appreciated by you."

„Yeah, me neither, Joe." Ann scoffed. „I gave up on my dreams to raise her."

„And what, you expect me to do the same?" He frowned.

„No, of course not!" She raised her voice. „I expect you to see how much I've done for you. I never heard a ‚thank you' from you for being a stay at home mom. For everything I taught her on my fucking own." She said through clenched teeth.

„I never heard a ‚thank you' from you for anything. You got mad at me for the fact that our plane got delayed, like that was my fucking fault." He scoffed frustrated. „I did everything I could to get here on time, I fucking ran like a maniac for an hour and I didn't hear shit from you. No ‚thank you', no nothing."

„What was I supposed to say?! Thank you for fucking up your daughter's birthday?" Ann yelled.

„You know what? Fuck this." He stood up from the sand. „You keep on saying that I fuck up everything, but right now you're the one fucking up our relationship!" He yelled and got inside, slamming the sliding doors behind him.

„Fuck!" Ann screamed, throwing the wine glass it in front of her. It spilled on the shore, the ocean quickly washing it away, taking the glass with it.

She laid back on the sand, closing her eyes as few teardrops fell down her face.

She woke up to a feeling of someone carrying her. She opened her eyes slightly seeing the familiar jawline as he carried her up the stairs. She closed her eyes again and inhaled his cologne, that always brought so much comfort to her.

He carefully placed her on the bed and tucked her in. He then bend over her and kissed her forehead, before turning around to the door.

Ann frowned and took his hand to stop him. He stopped, surprised that she was awake.

„Where are you going?" She whispered.

Joe sighed and sat on the bed next to her. „I'm going to sleep on the couch tonight."

„No..." She frowned, shaking her head.

He closed his eyes. „I need some space. To think."

„About what?" She said sitting up on the bed.

He locked eyes with her and sighed. „Us."

She looked down at her hands and nodded. „Okay."

„Hey." He placed a hand on her chin, making her look up at him. „I love you."