Chapter 7

×××

Amber steps out of the court room, walking down angrily. The clicking sound of her red bottom heels fills the hall-way as she made her way out of the building towards her car, already parked at the corner.

She held a tissue to her eyes, to wipe away the hanging tear that refused to drop. And as she settles into her car, her phone starts to ring. She Ignored it at first, allowing it to ring away, while she sat still, staring at nothing. Another tear forming on the the right side of her eyes.

She rummage in her purse for her phone, just when the thought of her son pokes through her mind. She'd tried to reach him since morning but failed, perhaps Link knew that she was going to apologize for fighting with his father and as well keeping it from him when he deserves to know about it.

Realizing that the missed call was indeed from Link, she quickly calls him back.

Ringing.

Ringing..

Ringing...

Just as she answers, without letting the other speak first, Amber hastily cuts in.

"Link! I'm so sorry about all the drama you witnessed this morning, I promise that your father and I are in good terms now... we've settled our differences -"

Amber abruptly stopped talking when she heard nothing from the other end, but a slow and barely audible hyperventilating sound.

"Hello," Amber called out.

Inhale and exhale.

"Hello, Link?" Amber called out again, looking a little bit frightened by the sharp inhale and exhale she's hearing. "Link is that you?" She asked and then it became fully calm.

"Is it true?" Link gruff.

His voice was hoarse and croaky and Amber couldn't hear him. "Wha- Link baby, I can't hear you, you'll have to be louder than that so I can hear you sweatie."

Quiet.

Inhale and exhale.

"IS IT TRUE?!" He rasped.

Still croaky but audible for her to hear this time. "True - What's true?" She asked little confused by his question.

"Don't bullshit me mum, don't fuckin bullshit me because am not a fuckin kid that you can fuckin lie to, you hear me!" Link said. And Amber could hear the sniffing. She could've sworn that Link has been crying.

"Baby I don't know what you're talking about. Look, I know I messed up for having to let you witness the fight this morning, and for that, I am truly sorry -"

"ARE YOU GETTING A DIVORCE?!" Link shouted. And it was Amber's turn to be quiet.

Quiet.

Quiet..

Amber stayed frozen for what felt like minutes or maybe hours. Unable to control her heart from beating out of her chest. She couldn't believe her ears, she wasn't expecting Link to find out so soon just when she planned on keeping it a secret from him till he's ready.