viii. fake bf (!!!)

𝐀𝐕𝐀-

𝐀𝐕𝐀-

As I glanced at my phone, half an hour ago, a message from Leon popped up, triggering a lot of conflicting emotions within me. His name flashed on the screen, a paragraph-long text, pleading me to meet him. He said it was urgent, he wanted to clear things up. According to his explanation, the girl I saw with him wasn't his girlfriend, not even his fling, but a colleague, with whom he'd be working for a very long time.

Hard to believe considering he never told me his new career path. And even though there was no reasonable explanation surrounding us seeing them at the cafe, his words were enough to coax me into agreeing to a face-to-face conversation.

I reached to the eye shadow palette, my fingers shaking unnoticeably. I tried to distract myself from the cocktail of emotions while focusing on my routine. My comfort.
I gently applied the light brown color dust across my eyelid. The effect I aimed for was that of doe eyes—bigger and full of innocence and softness; my eyes were what people loved me for.

However, I could not protect myself against the emotional attachment. I had long ago tried to fix my self love and my emotional involvement, although I always seemed to fail. Especially with Leon, someone who I had been with for years.

I inhaled deeply, trying to steady my racing heartbeat and remind myself of the familiarity I once shared with this person. Behind the calm facade, though, I knew I was facing the confrontation and potential explosion of emotions. Leon was my ex, probably my biggest heartbreak. A lover who had once betrayed my trust.

I still remembered the shock of discovering a dark hair strand in my shower after returning from the visit to my sick parents . How could he even have tried to talk his way out of it? There was no way around it, he had cheated.

Leon had found a well-paying job that allowed us to finally develop some financial stability, and it had taken a toll on his sanity: from kind and talkative to a cold machine, saying yes to everything his "classified" job wanted from him.

It changed everything, also our love life, of course he'd searched for release by someone who could offer him it when I couldn't anymore.

Leon was toxic, a fact I fought with even as I found the hold he had over me. And I wasn't harboring any romantic feelings anymore, yet the remnants of our shared history was still as difficult to get rid of. And so, I found myself reluctantly agreeing to meet him, despite the warnings laid out in my mind. I kept this decision to myself, knowing all too well how my friends would react.

Yet, even as I prepared to confront my past, I couldn't shake the sense of feeling overwhelmed that enveloped me.

As I put on my blush onto my cheeks, I glanced out the window, only to be met with the sight of rain cascading down the streets. A wave of frustration washed over me, I had straightened my hair earlier, apparent for no reason at all. But just then, my phone rang, the caller ID flashing 'Ky.'