Heartache Tonight

The next afternoon Bradley sat at the kitchen counter exhausted, his head pounded with a fury that made him feel like his skull would explode.

"Well look who it is" Brian said loudly coming into the kitchen.

"dad..." Bradley groaned.

"Rough night?" Brian asked.

"Dad I'm not in the mood" Bradley said.

"I get wanting to cheer Neilson up but don't you think you may have overdone it?" Brian asked.

"Ugh" Bradley groaned putting his head down on the counter.

"Hey" Nick said coming down the stairs "He's feeling it too huh?" he asked about Bradley.

"It's his own fault" Brian said "how's Neilson today?" he asked.

"First few days are the hardest" Nick said "But I think he'll be okay, Bradley I appreciate you getting Neilson out of the house, you've been a huge help" he said.

"He took him out and got him drunk!" he said.

"It cheered him up" Bradley said.

"Yeah how come you never do that for me?" Nick asked him.

"Because if I took you out to get drunk every time you broke up with someone you'd be dead" Brian said.

"That's not even...yeah okay fine" Nick said as Brian nodded "wait"

"What?" Brian asked.

"Shh...you hear that" Nick asked as they all became silent and began to listen intently.

"Oh my god" Bradley said horrified.

"That's Back To Your Heart" Nick said.

"He's listening to us" Brian said astonished.

"Oh god this is bad" Bradley said running hurriedly up the stairs.

Bradley burst into Neilson's room and turned the music off "What are you doing?" Neilson asked irritated.

"I can't let you do this to yourself" he said "What's this about? What are you doing?" he asked about him lying in bed.

"Nothing I just want to be alone right now" Neilson said to him.

"Why, you okay?" Bradley asked.

"No Bradley, I'm not okay my girlfriend just broke up with me remember? I just lost the love of my life and I don't need you to keep babysitting me" Neilson said to him.

"I'm not trying to babysit you I just want to make sure you're okay" Bradley said to him.

"Yeah believe it or not I'm not as fragile or as weak as you think I am" Neilson said.

"I never said you were" Bradley said defensively "What is the problem here?"

"You are! Don't you get it? This is all happening because of you!" Neilson said to him.

"Excuse me?" Bradley scoffed.

"Maybe Nat was right" Neilson said "I could never put her first, and maybe if I did that she would still be here but I didn't and for what? For you."

"Seriously?" Bradley asked.

"Maybe if you just stayed out of the way half the time, we would still be together! it's not fair that my girlfriend dumped me because you don't have a life of your own" Neilson said to him.

"So Nat breaking up with you is my fault" Bradley said.

"Maybe it is!"

Bradley looked at him in surprise "Wow."