Magnolia

Magnolia Parks

Maggie?" The barista calls out through the noisy shop, informing me that my coffee is ready.

Taking a small sip of my hazelnut latte, I smile. The warmth of the coffee spreads throughout my body as I step out into the cold fall air.

My favorite time of the year... The trees are changing colors and dropping their leaves in the wind, spooky decorations are being put up for my favorite holiday, pumpkin patches, cider and donuts and just the perfect chilled weather.

I walk down the road, headphones on and sipping my coffee while I take in the morning.

"Good morning, Magnolia," Mrs. Bocanan calls out as I walk into the back of the flower shop. She loved my full name. When I came in asking for a job she told me that a woman with a name like that is destined to be around flowers all day.

I smile, taking off my headphones, fixing my curled black hair. "Morning Mrs. B." I grab my black and green apron, throw it over my head and tie it behind my back. "Any new orders?"

She hands me an order, "just one, and if you could deliver it once you're done. Jerry is already out delivering the rest of the home orders."

"Of course!" I smile at Mrs. Bocanan. She was in her 60s, running the flower shop with ease. Her small wrinkles on the sides of her mouth and eyes show a life of smiles and laughter. Her salt and pepper hair that complimented her tan skin, always in a neat low bun. She always wore bright colors and knew how to make you smile.

Her look contrasted mine so much. My light honey, smooth skin, always covered in a small amount of makeup to cover my light freckles showed more of my hard work than love for life. My eyes always held dark circles which matched my dark brown hair, which was usually always down in some kind of manner. I wasn't as bright and cheery, typically adorning dark colors and tight clothing.

I frowned at the order.

Another casket spray.

There has been an unusual amount of deaths lately in this small town. Obituaries filled the newspapers more than the actual news. There wasn't a specific reason. Some died due to old age, a freak accident, cancer... but the more abnormal ones of missing people found dead, animal attack, or a brutal murder. It sent an uneasy and depressing cloud over the whole Midwest town.

I soak my oasis before taping it down to the casket saddle tray. Making sure the foundation is secure and sturdy.

I start with the greenery. Grabbing a mixture of different leaves in shapes and sizes, making a beautiful base that will cascade down the casket.

The order indicates that it was for a woman and to use feminine colors. I shopped around the cooler, looking around and figuring out my color pallet, I began pulling lots of pinks and lavenders with touches of white. It's larger budget allowed me to pull roses, stock, astilbe, lisianthus, snapdragons, daisies, hydrangeas and baby's breath,

I laid all of my flowers out onto the table and cleaned the leaves off of each stem before I used my knife to cut and stick in each flower.

Once I was finished I stepped back and admired my work. Hoping the flowers will help aid with the  healing of the family and friends of the deceased.

I informed Mrs. B that I was heading out and grabbed the work vans keys. Laying the casket spray in the back of the van I started my drive to a funeral home I had never been to before. As I pulled into the parking lot and to the service entrance, I felt like I'm being watched. I look around the almost empty parking lot and don't find any eyes to match the feelings, so I brush it off.