Atlas

Atlas Jones

She was breathtaking. There was no doubt about that. I loved her edgey but cute look about her. She gave off manic pixie dream girl energy and I would be lying if I said I wasn't into that. She was younger than us but not by much. And I couldn't help myself but to day dream about her through my work day.

I had a bit of time before I would try to catch her and give her a lift. I would hope she lets me, especially since with this fall weather it's a bit chilly and has looked like it was going to rain all day. I busied myself until I couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm going to head out" I told Silas, him looking up from his desk and nodding.

"Be nice to her. I don't want her scared away" he calls out as I walk out of the building and going to my SUV.

I make my way to the flower shop. As expected, it started to rain. No, Pour. We were having a full on storm come through. I saw our girl walking. Actually walking in the rain getting head to toe wet, drenched.

She's not even wearing a fucking coat.

I quickly pull over the car, grabbing my umbrella and extra coat from the back seat and running out to her.

"Get in the car" I yell at her through the loud pouring rain.

At first she looked scared but once she realized who I was she quickly stepped under the umbrella and walked with me to the car. I handed her my coat to put around her legs to keep her warm.

Once she was in, I made my way back to the other side, getting in, looking over at Magnolia.

She was soaking wet, shivering. She wiped the water from her face, slightly smearing her eye makeup. I smiled softly at her.

"T-thanks" she stuttered through her shivering. "I didn't realize it was just going to down p-pour like that."

I turned the heat up and handed her my phone. "Put your address in, I'll drive you home"

"You don't have to do that, it looks like it's going to stop any moment" she awkwardly looked out the window.

It in fact didn't look like it was going to be stopping any time soon. If anything, there was even darker clouds in the distance.

I gave her a pointed look.

She chuckled and put in her address. It was 15 minutes away. That should be enough time to try and break the ice... hopefully,

"So you're a florist... What's your favorite flower?" I randomly ask. Trying to grasp at anything to get to know her.

She looked at me with a big smile, a look I would never get tired of. "Well... that's such a hard question for a florist.. but my top three are a garden rose, sweet pea and freesia"

"Why those?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"They all have the best scents and are so beautiful" she answers and I nod.

"Isn't Magnolia a flower?" I make conversation, look over at her as I stop at a street light.

"It's a flowering tree, yes. They are pretty too but since it's my name, I'm not completely in love with it. Plus if you pick the flower it only lasts like an hour" she spoke and hugged out.

I couldn't help thinking that maybe that went deeper. That it was a metaphor for how she viewed herself,

"Most people call me Maggie or Mags. I don't mind Magnolia though; it's whatever people want to call me" she said.

I liked Magnolia. Silas and I weren't like most people.

I pulled up to her apartment, getting out with my umbrella to walk her to her door. She happily accepted the offer and we quickly made it to her door which she unlocked and opened. Not really being invited in, I took a step inside anyway. Looking at where she lived. She didn't have very much. A small couch, a table that's seen better days and a few paintings that looked hand done. What stood out above everything else was she had a record collection, but nothing to play them on. It was clean though, immaculately clean.

"Umm.. so this is my place." She kinda giggled embarrassed. "Can I get you anything to drink? I have water, juice, tea, coffee..." she trails off as I shake my head and look at her records.

"Well I'm going to go change into something dry... I'll be right back" she walked into her room, closing her door. I looked around her living room some more and took note in my head of her style and the things she had laying around.

"You don't have much, did you just move in?" I asked, slightly prying.

"Umm.. no" she yelled through the door. "I have been here 4 years"

She walked out in some tight spandex shorts and a big oversized tshirt. She threw her hair up into a high ponytail, exposing her long neck.

"Minimalist?" I asked and smiled at her outfit, how she is instantly comfortable.

"Something like that" she smiled but it didn't quite look the same as other times. A bit of pain was held in her eyes before she looked up at me. "You can stay here till the rain lets up a bit. Probably isn't safe to be driving in that.

I nodded my head and smiled. "I appreciate that."

"Would you like to watch a movie?" She asked and grabbed herself some peach flavored juice.

"That sounds great, you pick." I made myself comfortable on her couch, leaning back. It was actually pretty comfortable.

She picked a cheesy romance movie.

"What's your favorite color?" She randomly asked.

"A dark gray. What about you?" I ask her in return.

"A dark teal or black" she nodded. "I feel like you can tell a lot about a person's favorite color.

I smirked and looked over at her. "What can you tell me about myself?"

She bit her lower lip. I wanted so badly to be the one doing that. "Well I'd say you put up a scary front but are soft deep down..."

I chuckled "maybe way way way deep down.. for the right people"

"And you tend to think things through before acting impulsively." She added.

I think it over and nod. "Not very off."

She nodded and smiled to herself, watching the movie. The sun was setting and the rain was not letting up, I knew I'd at least be here for the whole movie.

An hour and a half later, the movie was slowly coming to an end, she looked very comfortable lounging on her side of the couch.

"Don't you think it's dumb and unrealistic that every movie ends with this hot passionate kiss but that's just not how it happens in real life?" She asked with furrowed brows.

"What?" I chuckled out.

"I mean I don't know about you but I don't have anyone writing me love letters, taking long walks on the beach, dancing in the rain, giving me an intense passionate kiss." She giggled out and rolled her eyes as if that thought was crazy. "It's just unrealistic and it's sometimes funny to me"

I looked at her and then at the window, seeing it pouring I instantly stood up and extended my hand. "Let's go dance in the rain"