Chapter 13: Kill The Spector

The sound of a bag of money hitting the ground echoed throughout the throne room, commanding attention. Taskmaster stood before Honest and the young emperor, his voice laced with panic as he pleaded, "Get someone else to do it!"

Honest's gaze bore down on Taskmaster with a cold intensity. "You failed to kill him?" he questioned, his tone a mixture of disappointment and disdain.

"There is no amount of money you can pay me to fight him! He's a lunatic! He ain't right in the head," Taskmaster vehemently declared, gesturing towards his damaged shield. "And this isn't going to fix itself!"

"If you want your shield fixed, you'll have to kill him," responded Honest, his voice cold and unforgiving.

"Fuck you," Taskmaster snapped, his frustration boiling over. "I'm done with the imperial army, ya hear! I'm out!" With that final proclamation, he stormed out of the throne room, his footsteps echoing through the halls.

"It appears this Moon Knight is more than what we expected," remarked the Emperor, his brow furrowed in contemplation.

"Indeed," agreed Honest, his gaze fixed on the door through which Taskmaster had just departed. "I suppose it's time."

"Time for what, Prime Minister Honest?" inquired the emperor, curiosity evident in his tone.

"To reach out to a contact of mine," explained Honest, stroking his beard thoughtfully. "A former associate of Raoul Bushman. He's been hunting the Moon Knight for a while now. He'd be more than willing to take up this job."

"Very well. We'll get in touch with him," affirmed the emperor, his decision made.

=============--------------===============

I've been having this dream for as long as I can remember. It always starts the same way - I find myself standing in front of a mirror, its surface marred by a single crack running across it. At first, it seemed like just another dream, a figment of my subconscious mind playing tricks on me.

But as time went on, I began to notice a pattern. Every time I die, another crack forms on the mirror, and the damage becomes more pronounced. At first, I brushed it off as just a strange coincidence, a quirk of my dreaming mind. But now, I realised it's something much more sinister.

This isn't a dream. It's a countdown.

With each death, the cracks multiply, spreading like a web across the mirror's surface. And as the fractures deepen, I can feel it - the creeping sense of dread, the chilling realisation that once the mirror shatters completely, I'll be lost.

Lost to the animal that lurks within me, the primal instincts that threaten to consume my humanity. Stripped of all that makes me who I am, I'll become nothing more than a mindless beast, driven by instinct alone.

I can't let that happen. I won't let it happen.

With each death, the cracks multiply, spreading like a web across the mirror's surface. And as the fractures deepen, I can feel it - the creeping sense of dread, the chilling realisation that once the mirror shatters completely, I'll be lost.

As I slowly awakened from my slumber, I felt the warmth beside me and opened my eyes to find Esdeath sleeping peacefully next to me. Her serene expression belied the turmoil within me - anger, fear, and an overwhelming urge to rid myself of her presence.

The ringing in my ears intensified, drowning out all other thoughts as I struggled to resist the impulse to strangle her in her sleep. My fists clenched tightly as I fought against the killer instinct threatening to take over.