9

"Stop wincing, it's not that bad," I said, patting at the wound on his arm and setting aside the pad of gauze

Hmm, maybe I felt a slight deja vu for when I did the same thing with Pope. Yeah, now that I was seeing him in pain it was kinda amusing.

"What'd you do to piss off that guy?" I broke the silence, finally looking up to meet Rafe, who was already staring straight down at me. A strand of his slicked back hair had come undone, hanging off to the side and lying against his eyebrow.

"None of your business, Khali."

"Noted." I shut up, not wanting to get him all fired up again and pressing down a little harder than I had meant to when I spread the ointment across his arm.

"Fuck," he whispered heavily, sucking in a deep breath and gripping his hand around the seat of his chair.

"Sorry," I said quickly, pulling back my hand and he waved me off.

"It's whatever, you done yet?"

"Yeah," I got up, brushing my pants and gathering the first aid kit together to put it back. A pair of cloth scissors fell out of the kit, "Shit!"

Just before I picked it off the floor, Rafe's hand flew down and grabbed it. "Here," he avoided eye contact, handing it towards me and I hesitantly took it. In a flash, his hand was on my arm, catching me by surprise and I tried to pull away before I felt his hold tighten slightly, although not enough to hurt me.

"Thanks, K." He mumbled, looking at me in the eye, before getting up and walking away nonchalantly.

Had I been with the Pogues during their scavenger hunt? Nah, not really.

But randomly, like clockwork, I had been roped right back into somehow helping with this absolutely idiotic plan.

Where was I? Oh, just sitting in the Cameron's house, pretending to be Sarah. JJ negotiated a 7% cut and a dinner at Milligan's, so why would I pass?

Aurora
U free??

Me
Nah, at Kook nation lol

Aurora
lol, what does that mean?

I sent a quick picture, standing beside a gymnastics trophy that Sarah had perched on her dresser. I'd admit, she definitely was talented more than she tended to show. Plaques for spelling bees, dancing, and even swimming were hung everywhere.

She must be the golden child, huh.

"Get up, Rafe." A voice said sternly, booming through the vent within Sarah's room. Intrigued, I bent down, placing my cheek against the floor and listening intently.

"Where're we going, dad?" my eyebrows lifted, surprised at just how different he had sounded in the absence of others.

"Did I stutter? Get your coat and get in the damn car."

Seconds passed, and the sound of shuffling scattered throughout the house.

"Rafe, now."

Footsteps stomped against the panels of the floor, scaring me into hiding behind the door in case anyone decided to pop in for a quick visit.