17

"Wanna hit?"

Pope moved forward, offering a joint to me and I politely declined, relaxing myself further against the seat of the car. The sun began setting slowly, causing an orange glow to coat the scenery of the city.

"Seems rich here..." JJ commented, pointing to a bunch of suburban houses that seemed to be picture perfect.

"What evidence do you think they have?" I wondered aloud, looking at the others who seemed to be asking themselves the same thing.

"Well, maybe it has to do with Rafe's gun..."

"Rafe's gun? What did I miss?" I asked, sounding more intrigued than I had wanted and earning a suspicious stare from Pope.

"Kie, JJ and I went on a slight mission," Pope revealed, flattening his lips. "Didn't go so well, at first, but we did get a gun."

"Yup, Rafe's gun. Assholes threw it in the sewer, so Kie went on mission impossible and managed to get it," JJ sneered, venom lacing his words and pure hatred showing on his face. He had managed to turn the music low at some point, allowing a more serious conversation to start.

"Yeah, almost drowned in sewage water," Kie spoke up, gagging to herself in disgust.

"Ward, we saw him kill someone, K. Cold blood and all." JJ motioned his hands dramatically, letting the steering wheel take its own control and ignoring the unsteady swerving of the van.

I reached over, stabilizing the wheel and throwing a glare in his direction. "Keep your damn hands on the wheel, before you don't get to tell me anything."

"So, he killed someone? What do you mean?" I continued, letting JJ's hands come back to the steering wheel and letting go myself.

The puzzles of the pieces slowly came together for me, conflicting me internally as I threw a facade in front of the crew. That's why Rafe was going down to Nassau, and why he had me help him yesterday.

Ward, that asshole.

"Some pilot who knew too much, we saw everything," Kie said darkly, falling into a trance as she revisited her memory. A strand of hair fell loosely in front of her face, and she reached to pull it back into its original place behind her ear. "Camera got all fucked, right after we caught—"

"You idiots were there recording it?! Do you know what Ward would do if he found out? I mean, the dude has connections all across Kildare and more money than we could ever have—" I exclaimed, scrunching my face in frustration, before JJ cut me off.

"Relax, the dude deserves it. He's a murderer."

"What'd you guys do with the gun?" My nerves had begun to leak through my words, as I bit my lip.

"Obviously, we handed it in. Dude probably had sheriffs department there all morning, but of course you know how Shoupe is," JJ answered, shrugging nonchalantly.

"Alright, is this it!" Pope grabbed hold of the side of my seat to pull himself forward, getting a closer look at a nice looking mansion.

"Yep."

"I have a question," I interrupted, causing a pause of motion within the van and receiving their stares. "So, John B is alive... Where is he?"

"That's the thing, we don't really know much besides the fact that he's alive somewhere else..."

"'Kay, is he, uh, coming back at all?" The screeching of the van's door sounded, as it opened roughly and Pope shrugged simply.

"Dunno."

"May I remind you, Khalia, the dudes got the whole town lookin' for him..." JJ joked dryly, taking off his sunglasses and placing them on the dash.