12

"So, her dad's got her held hostage?"

"Basically," John B muttered bitterly, sighing and pushing a hand through his hair. He had been an absolute disaster the past few days, practically an anxious mess and hiding whenever he heard even the slightest sound. We had agreed it would be best for him to lay low by switching from between me and JJ's, which really meant mostly mine as JJ's dad wasn't too keen on the idea of a bigger audience watching his alcoholic issues.

"What's your plan, John B? What's gonna happen?" I asked, but I really didn't want to her hear his answer, not being able to stomach the fact that these very well could be some of the last times I would see him. He cleared his throat, stepping off from the wall he had been leaning on and shrugging.

"So," I mocked his shrugging, infuriated and tossing my phone off to the side, "that's your grand plan? Do I need to remind you that right now all of Kildare, especially figure 8, thinks you murdered someone? Not only someone, but a fucking sheriff."

He nodded shamefully, placing his hands in his pockets awkwardly and sighing.

"Un-fucking-believable."

"Look, the group is meeting up later... they're gonna help me get off the island, until the heat goes down."

"John B, the heat is never gonna go down. That's a dumb idea, I mean all the cops are looking for you and a sheriff is dead. The blood," I pointed to him seriously, ignoring the look of overwhelming anxiety on his face, "that's on your hands."

Then suddenly, there was a rapid knock on my front door and I could hear the scratches from a walkie-talkie. "Kildare PD, open up!"

"Shit." Me and John B shared a look of sheer panic, making way for the window of my room. "You gotta leave, go and hide out somewhere empty for the night." I helped him through the window, letting him drop the short few feet from the house and nodding at him wordlessly.

"Good morning, Shoupe." I said dryly, smiling sarcastically and ignoring the look of skepticism plastered on his face. He leaned a hand on my doorframe, causing me to take a step back as he swept the inside of my house with his eyes. "Take a picture, lasts longer."

"Mae, I suggest you just stop involving yourself with these boys," He looked down at me, hooking his thumb around his vest and using his other hand to rest on his hip.

"What boys? I've been working doubles all summer, bills to pay and shit, y'know?" That earned a look of doubt from Shoupe, and he looked into my house one more time before he decided to step back.

"Khalia," he looked at me seriously, and in the background I noticed shuffling.

What the hell are you doing John B?

"You need to tell us if you know anything."

"Well, I don't, so shoo." I waved him off, once I realized John B was long gone to wherever he had planned to hide.