15

If Rafe had wanted to push me completely away, he had done a damn good job because I hadn't thought to contact him in nearly two weeks

I had spent the majority of that time surrounding myself with Pope, who surprisingly became one of the closest to me within the crew. I had tried to rekindle a closer friendship with Kie, but the awkwardness between us was stronger than ever.

If I were to be honest, I deeply cared for JJ, immensely but with all of this shit going down, I had a hard time connecting with him the same.

Nothing was completely confirmed, so maybe I was overreacting but the thought of him all over her was one I wasn't sure I could accept.

"It's okay, Pope. You'll get into school, either way," I rubbed his shoulder, taking a seat on the edge of the dock at Heyward's.

"Yeah, I know but I didn't want to be in debt with all of this going on—"

"It'll be so worth it." I finished, cutting off his spiral of thoughts that would likely send him into panic.

"Yeah... so," He began, peering at me with a raised eyebrow and a grin that could only mean mischief, "who's the other guy?"

I slapped the side of his head, sending him backwards a bit as he laughed. "No one, Pope."

"Hey, if it makes you feel better, you don't have to tell me, but..."

"But?"

"I won't tell anyone and I mean that."

I bit my lip, nervously looking for something to soothe my unease and being satisfied with dipping my hands into the warm waters of Kildare.

"I don't know, Pope."

"That's okay."

"He's, uh, hard to understand, y'know. I don't really think it'll ever get much further than a party thing."

He nodded, breathing out and rubbing the surface of his knee.

Talking to Pope about boys was one thing, 'cause he had no damn experience in the dating department as far as I knew. Maybe a middle school crush or a three-day girlfriend, but more than that was less than he had known.

"Well, I'm always here to talk, Khali," Pope stood, offering his hand out to me and I gladly took it, following him back into the restaurant.

Popes dad watched in amusement, sending a teasing glance to Pope who seemed more embarrassed than anything. I let my hand drop from his swiftly, walking to the counter to sit at a small seat.

"Yo, Heyward," I sent a small wave, as he set a dish in front of me and another for the empty seat directly next to me.

"Hey, Khalia, how you been?" his look held a solemn tone, and I know he meant it to be much deeper than the words he spoke.