18

"What do you mean the fucking tire popped?!" I yelled from the back seat, as the car came to a shaken halt.

"It must've been a broken glass or something... I don't know!" Pope argued back, slamming his hand against the wheel of the van.

A car revved behind us, quickly advancing towards us and a man held a gun outside the window.

"Guys! I think he has a gun, fuck." I bit my lip, pulling the door's handle and making a silent prayer, as I kicked the door open.

"Plan B, run," JJ called out, joining me as we ran across the alleys of Charleston.

"Fuck!" A shot rang out, causing me to duck and JJ to grab my arms in an attempt to hide me. "He's definitely got a gun."

I had lost my phone somewhere in the chase, not truly noticing it until I heard it clatter along the asphalt and watched it spread with spiderwebs of cracked glass.

"We don't have time, K! Let it go!" JJ pulled me away, before I could bend down and led me in the opposite direction.

"We might have to split up!" Pope called out, following behind us and avoiding the hanging tree branches that surrounded the small street.

"Keep fucking runnin', guys!" I cut him off, letting my sandals scrape the ground and turning a corner. I bumped into a man who held some papers, holding out my hands in an attempt to apologize before being taken away again by JJ's grasp.

"Right around here, just around this corner!" JJ led us, running to what looked to be open street again before a whizz cut the air open.

"Holy shit, watch where you're going—"

A pause came through, as I stood face to face with a disheveled John B, who was joined by Sarah. John B's bandana hung roughly against the skin of his neck, almost torn and his hair laid out as it always had been.

"Get in, get in!" John B wasted no time, ushering us to get into the bike's cart and we followed his orders wordlessly.

"Wait, you're going back?"

"OBX is my home, Khali. Plus, I'll get another shot at Ward, if I go back." John B replied, wiping the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand and sending one of his classic stoic stares.

The thought of my current position reminded me of something I had been avoiding: Rafe.

He was likely not thinking about me in particular, but I had only hoped that he would share the same concern over our situation with the body.

All of this could catch up to me... was I ever going to be ready for that?

Sarah winced, grabbing at the side of her abdomen and furrowing her eyebrows.

"What's wrong?" I leaned over to her, looking at her eyes as she breathed deeply to relax herself.

"Rafe shot her, back In Nassau." John B answered furiously, almost breaking his jaw in the way he had it tensed.

A shiver ran through my body, trailing all the way to the hairs on the very back of my neck.

I was stunned, to say the least. Even for Rafe, this was unexpected and it completely changed my perception of him, if it could've changed even more.

"Okay, you really cannot go back, JB. This is much more dangerous now." I stood crossing my arms, looking at the stare of offense that played along the lines of John B's face.

"No, I have to, K," He followed my trailing gaze, forcing me to make eye contact with him, "For my dad, for us. For the Pogues, K."

I let a sigh fall heavily through the floor of my lungs, turning away from him in disappointment with an undertone of frustration.