14

"Kie, I don't want to," I stated honestly, refusing to give into her puppy dog eyes as she attempted to convince me and JJ to make up

"C'mon, it's been weeks since anyone has talked to each other, we're pogues, Khali."

"No." I went back to scrolling through my phone, letting my feet dip into the sand of Rodanthe beach. The waves whooshed against the shore deeply, setting the tone of a relaxed environment, except for the fact that Kie had been tugging my arm the entire time to bother me about JJ.

"Dude, just listen to me, this isn't good for any of you."

I paused to drop my phone momentarily, "He's a douche."

"He is, but he's our friend—"

"Yeah? Couldn't really tell if you were friends or not by the way you guys have been so close, recently."

She stood stunned, almost oblivious to how overwhelmingly obvious their little show had been. "Khalia, it's not what it looks like."

"It isn't? Hmm." I put my hand to my chin, letting my curious facade drop and hardening my face. "Couldn't tell."

"Khalia, this isn't the time for us to be fighting."

"Trust me, I know. I mean, John B's dead and look at us, we're all just in our own little worlds, when weeks ago we swore it wouldn't happen. None of you," I pointed harshly at her, watching her flinch in response, "checked on me and then got pissed when I wouldn't text. The phone works both ways, Kie."

"Unbelievable." She sighed, shaking her head and turning away from me to walk back to her flip flops embedded within the sand.

"And there you go again," she turned around to face me, as I called to her, "walking away."

"Yeah," she flared her nose, tightening her fists on each side, "I am."

I moved in her direction, shoving her with my shoulder as I bent down to slip my shoes on. How ironic was it that when John B was gone, everything had gone to shit, although he claimed it was because of him that our life was so crazy.

Crazy? Yes. Shitty? Nah.

My phone dinged, interrupting the staring contest between me and Kie. I sighed heavily, pulling it out to check and see what it was about.

252-310-1024
Meet @ Oden's.

Me
Who is this?

252-310-1024
Rafe

Me
Busy.

Rafe
No ur not, island club is closed
on sundays.

Me
What time?