Chapter 1

Thank you for reading enjoy

Chapter 1

Harlowe

I knew before I bought the team that this wasn't going to be easy. Football, especially team ownership, has been a man's dominion. It's only been in recent years that women have broken that barrier and even now it's still not completely accepted.

Wives are welcome, daughters are welcome. But as owners, it's a taboo. Too bad. I'm breaking that mold and I'm going to take this team to the playoffs and to the championship. I want everyone in football to know that a woman can not only own a team, but can have a winning team.

The right coaches, the right general manager, the right staff and players, we need all of that to get to the top of the league. It won't happen overnight but it will happen. We just have to have a plan. And I do. Starting with the Bradford's.

They are the royalty of football. Everyone who knows anything about football knows that. I grew up watching them. I hung out at Point Conception, the main home of the Bradford's and where Georgia Bradford made her legacy.

She is my idol. I've studied her, I even wrote a paper about her in college. The way she built her business, diversified it, made a difference in the community and helped shape so many lives. I aced that class.

There was a time I wished I had been born a Bradford instead of a Segler. Not because my family isn't wonderful. They're great in every possible way. My grandfather was a great baseball player. My uncle was a hall of fame player, my aunt one of the best baseball coaches ever. They inspired me in so many ways. But my love is football.

That's where I differ from the rest of my family.

I love baseball. I grew up playing just like my brother. My grandma coached my team, and loved that time with her. Mom was my personal cheerleader. But it wasn't football.

Now I own my own team. And this is everything!

"Ms. Segler! We're so glad you could make it this morning," Tom Holler, team manager, held his hand out to greet me.

"Tom, thank you for taking the time this morning for me." I've done my research already. I know where we stand on the field. I have watched the tapes. I've seen who we drafted. I know what I bought. "I know you're getting ready for the season opener. I just wanted to get a look at what we've got going. See what needs we have. Equipment, players etc. I'm sure you can help me with that."

"Absolutely. Any questions you have, I'll be happy to answer," Tom looks around the hall as if he's searching for someone.

I look around as well wondering what the problem is. "Are we waiting for someone?"

"I assumed your husband was joining us," he had the audacity to ask that question.

"I'm not married, Mr. Holler. If you have a problem with a female owner, you need to say something now. I'm the owner. I'm your boss. There's no man who will be running things. I'm all you've got. But I can guarantee you that I have learned everything I know about football from the very best in the field." And I made sure of that.

"Who would that be, Ms. Segler? No offense but your family is known for baseball, not football." He's not earning any points with me.

"Then you don't know her family very well, Holler!" Turning around, I couldn't help but smile when I saw Dylan McConnell standing there, suit and tie just like his grandfather before him would have been.

Matt McConnell was one of the best sports managers in the business. His grandson is just as good. I'm lucky he agreed to help me out with this today. I figured I would end up having a little difficulty.