Chapter 7

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 7

Easton

I know better than to touch her. I know not to kiss her, not like this but I couldn't help it. She told Max everything I couldn't. And she was going to tell him the rest. That I wanted her then, that I still want her. I can't deny how I felt about her but things have changed. She made the situation change and now I can't acknowledge my feelings for her even if I wanted to.

It would screw up everything for both of us.

Stepping back, I held my hands up and made sure she didn't come close to me again. "This can't happen again, Lowe. We can't do this."

"Are you going to tell me that you don't want me?" I know that isn't her question, and I won't lie to her again.

"No. I want you, more than ever, but Lowe, you own this team. My team. I can't start this with you knowing that it's only going to cause you a lot of problems. It's a conflict of interest for you. One I can't let you have. You own the team and I'm your quarterback. This can't happen," I had to make sure she understood the situation.

"I benched you," she whispered softly, talking her way through the problem. "You won't be able to play. Second string will have to cover for you until I reinstate you."

"You have to treat me like you would any other player, Lowe. You did the right thing. But this," Taking her hands, I felt the heat and the way her hands trembled. "We can't do this. It's going to cause you so much trouble. Not just internally with the other players and the board but with the whole league board. They could force you to sell."

The look on her face changed when I reminded her of her dream. She has wanted to own a football team as long as I can remember. She finally has it. I'm not going to be the reason she loses it. She has to know that.

"They wouldn't do that," she rejected the idea.

"They would and could do it, don't test them, Lowe. You know better than anyone that you are a woman trying to make it in a man's industry. They would kick you out just to get rid of you and you know it," she isn't stupid. She knows what I'm saying is true.

"Damn it!" Harlowe pulls away from me and walks to the other side of the room.

Keeping her distance from me, she takes the moment to get her composure. She's got to get her head together. I don't blame her. Both of us lost it for a minute there. If we aren't careful we will cost her everything she has worked so hard for. That would kill me. I would hate myself for doing that to her.

"You're right," Harlowe whispered, knowing that she has to be careful. "Tom is going to be watching me. Waiting for a reason to get me fired too. I have to be more careful. I'm sorry I put you in that position, Easton. I wasn't thinking straight. You're right."

It broke my heart to hear that from her. I've never wanted another woman the way I want her but Harlowe has always been off limits for me. Whether it's been because of Max not wanting me to touch her or because of the team, I don't want to screw up her life. I would do that if I did what I wanted to do.

"I'm going to go, can you tell me how long I'm benched?" I asked, knowing that I deserve the penalty.

"Two weeks." Lowe replied. "I want you to be here ready to go every day for the next two weeks and then you'll be back in. Don't screw up, Easton. The team needs you."

"I'll be here, thanks, Lowe." Going to the door, I started to leave and stopped myself. I couldn't go. My lips still burned from the heat of that kiss. My body ached to have her. Damn, I want her in my arms again.