Chapter 9

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 9

Harlowe

We managed to avoid each other for the last week. I'm beginning to think that Easton only said it would be different because he thought it would make it easier to get out of the moment. I guess it worked. I believed him and left him to deal with my brother and I haven't heard a word from either of them since.

I'm an idiot!

I actually thought he meant it. I believed Easton would talk to Max and get their relationship straight so that we can be together openly. But after talking to Mom last night, I have to believe that Easton hasn't even tried to talk to Max.

He comes to work everyday, I know because I see him. He's working hard to get off the bench and back to active status. I admire that side of Easton. He is dedicated and determined to be QB1. And knowing him, he will regain his position.

But he hasn't even reached out to me. Nothing. I was right the first time. Bradford's are known to be heartbreakers. Even Emma said that Blake hurt her, ran around with other women, and taunted her. Easton is a Bradford, he won't change. Not even for me.

It's for the best. Easton and I would only have too many problems between the team board and the league oversight committee. It would ruin his career and I would lose the team. Neither of us want those things to happen. He must have realized that too.

All for the best, I don't have time for a man in my life right now anyway. I'm a team owner, I have The Franchise Quarterback of the decade in my locker room. His career is just beginning and is as important to him just as much as my career is important to me.

Looking out at the field, I watch the lights get turned off and sigh. All for the best.

"I'm getting ready to leave, Ms. Segler. Do you need anything else?" The sweet voice from Mandy, my assistant, broke through my thoughts.

"No, thank you, Mandy. Have a good night," I replied with a smile that just wasn't real. I don't feel like being happy or pleasant to anyone.

A little selfish time is what I need. Some "me" time, where I don't have to focus on anything else but myself. My mind, body and heart need it. Maybe a spa day or a weekend at the beach house. A day in the sun and the surf has always brightened up my mood. Me and my surfboard and the waves. That would be nice.

This weekend. A couple more days and I'll disappear for the weekend.

Light by light went out in the building. It wasn't long until I was the only person left in the front office. I still watched out my window and saw Easton leave with the rest of the team and staff from the locker room. He glanced up at my window once. For a moment I thought he saw me and would make a quick turn into the front office, but just kept going to the parking garage without so much as a text.

"You are a fool, Lowe," I whispered to myself. "No matter what you do, he will never be yours."

I did it again. I let my guard down and let Easton get my hopes up. My feelings, my response to him is not his fault. I am responsible for my own behavior, my own actions and feelings. I am perfectly capable of saying 'No' to him. I didn't do that. I was a willing participant in what happened and I let it happen. That's on me.

As my computer notifies me of an email, I sigh and go back to my desk. Work has to be done and I'm the boss now. There's no one looking over my shoulder to poke me to do my job and there's a lot to do.

"You have to move on. He has," I mutter as I open the email.

Rubbing my eyes, I groan while reading the beginning of the message. "Well shit!"