Chapter - 4

Nyx's POV

The palace door swung open, and Ethan immediately questioned, "How come you didn't get the rules explained?" I glanced at Azrael, who nodded in agreement, and replied, "I've been here three or four times; I don't know."

"What the heck, and you didn't tell me?" Gabriel chimed in. "Gabby, I'm sorry. There were problems at home, and Azrael offered a safe place. He knew what was happening, and it was the best option for me," I explained. They nodded in understanding.

Azrael turned to a guard and inquired about his parents. The guard informed, "Prince Azrael, they are in the office and have requested you to visit them with your friends." Azrael nodded and led us to his parents' office.

We entered King Alexander's office, and Azrael confidently opened the door without knocking. Everyone, except Azrael and me, seemed nervous. Queen Arabella, however, broke the tension by exclaiming, "Nyx, you're here!" She approached me with excitement, enveloping me in a motherly hug, and a warm feeling passed through me as I smiled in response. She then turned to greet the other three.

While Azrael engaged in a conversation with King Alexander, the king got up from his chair and walked over to me, pulling me into a hug and inquiring about how I was doing. I responded with "amazing," eliciting a smile from him. I took the opportunity to officially introduce my friends. "King Alexander and Queen Arabella, these are our friends, Ethan, Harper Anderson, and Gabriel Chambers," I said.

My friends were taken aback by how friendly the king and queen were with me. Azrael interjected with a playful comment, "If Nyx comes, they forget they have a son." The king and queen rolled their eyes at the remark and continued conversing with all of us.

"You can call us 'king' and 'queen' if others are present. In private, feel free to use 'Alexander' and 'Arabella.' Don't be as stubborn as Nyx here; we've told her a thousand times," remarked King Alexander.

"Hey, I just want to give you the respect you deserve. You both are amazing," I responded. They shared a warm smile, and Queen Arabella chimed in, "You're like a daughter we never had. If you called us 'dad' and 'mom,' we wouldn't object." King Alexander nodded in agreement, solidifying the familial bond we shared.

"Boys and girls, I would like to request the boys to wear suits and the girls to wear frocks until the coronation. After the other kings and queens leave, you can wear whatever you want," Arabella announced. I couldn't hide the pout on my face, but Alexander chuckled and reassured, "Don't worry; we ordered some dresses for you, Nyx." My expression instantly transformed, and I rushed over to hug him, filled with gratitude for their thoughtful gesture.

"Could any one of you share the map with them?" Alexander pointed towards Azrael and me, and we readily nodded. I grabbed my phone and swiftly forwarded the map to the others. Gabriel acknowledged with a nod and a grateful smile. "Okay, now for the rooms!" Arabella clapped her hands in excitement. "Nyx, you have your room, but we made some changes; I hope you like it. The three of your rooms will be right opposite," she informed us. We all nodded in agreement.

"The butler will take you people to the rooms; I have to talk to these two," he said, glaring at Azrael and me. Ethan attempted to hold his laughter but couldn't contain it, stopping abruptly when both Azrael and I shot him a glare. "Okay, I'm ready to go," Azrael replied, and the three of them left the room.

"Did you describe us as devils to your friends?" Arabella inquired, her eyes fixed on Azrael. "Nah, he doesn't spill anything about the royal aspects, and all of us understand," I interjected, defending Azrael. "Now that they know, what's the problem?" he added, visibly bored with the conversation.

As the tension lightened, Alexander began to address the topic of the dresses. "Nyx, the dresses are not, um, well..." he hesitated but then cleared his throat. "You'll see," he concluded, signaling for us to go to our rooms.

As we walked towards our rooms, I couldn't help but question Azrael about the unexpected dresses. "You could have told me to bring some dresses; why did you order them?" I inquired. "I didn't do anything. Mom knew that you were going to come anyway, and she knows you don't have a single dress in your cupboard, so she got them," he explained.

He then nervously mentioned that we needed to talk, indicating the kiss in the car. I nodded in agreement and glanced at the time. It was already 6:30, and dinner was at 8. "Can we both get ready and talk?" I suggested. He nodded, giving me a kiss on the head, and entered his room, while I headed to mine.

In my room, I discovered a gigantic walk-in closet filled with an array of dresses. I was amazed. I settled on a white dress with a bow at the back, and its backless design added a touch of elegance. I opted for a half-up, half-down hairstyle, securing it with a bow. After cleaning my face with wet tissues, I applied a thin foundation, concealer, lip gloss, and mascara to complete the look. Glancing at the clock, it was 7:15, and I texted Azrael, who told me to come to his room.

Entering Azrael's room, I found him getting ready, so I sat on his bed, idly scrolling through my phone

Entering Azrael's room, I found him getting ready, so I sat on his bed, idly scrolling through my phone. "Hey," he greeted as he emerged from his closet, dressed in a stylish grey suit with a white shirt, looking undeniably handsome. I returned the greeting, and he smirked playfully, catching me checking him out.

Approaching me, he pulled me up, and in an affectionate hug, he exclaimed, "Oh my god, you're going to kill me looking like that

Approaching me, he pulled me up, and in an affectionate hug, he exclaimed, "Oh my god, you're going to kill me looking like that." I inquired if something was wrong, and he shook his head, denying any issue. Then, with a sincere expression, he confessed, "Nyx, I like you, and I can't control myself anymore. I've liked you since college, and I can't keep it hidden."

Resting his head on mine, locking eyes, he continued, "You increase my heartbeat; you're like the light in my life, bringing a smile to my face. I want you to feel the same way too." His words carried a sense of desperation. "I like you too, Azrael," I replied. Playfully, he teased, "What? I didn't hear you." Smiling, I reiterated, "I like you too," and he responded by pulling me into a deep, heartfelt kiss.