5-5 Traps and Lies

"Oh-!" Hina suddenly remembered somenthing

"See? Pretty good idea, right?"

"No, not that! I just remembered something super serious!"

"Well, don't just stand there. Out with it." Byakuya ordered

🎵Sauna

[Persona 4]

"You know that knife we found all black and burnt?"

"The one we found stuck in the body before it exploded, right?" Hiro asked for clarification "According to the Monokuma File, the knife went all the way through, from front to back. So? What about it?"

"I'm pretty sure I'd seen that knife somewhere before... That's what I thought when I first saw it. I just remembered!"

"I-It's...the knife we g-gave to Makoto!?" Toko also remembered

Makoto just sighed

"You don't seem surprised. You must have noticed earlier..." Byakuya deduced

"Y-Yeah..."

"Then why did you hide that fact?"

"It's not that I hid it. It's just..."

"Suspicious... Very suspicious indeed! The knife we found stuck in the body came from Makoto! Now I'm totally convinced he did it! Twelve thousand percent convinced!" Hiro exclaimed

"Just because I had the knife once that automatically makes me the killer?" Makoto argued

"Well, getting stabbed is what killed her right? So there's no question! You took that knife of yours and killed her with it!"

"Wait, hold on. The stab wound isn't what killed Mukuro. That should be clear from the description of the cover-up we just heard!"

"Lies! We never talked about what killed her!"

"No, don't you remember? The killer covered the dead body with the tarp, and then put the bloody coat on it, right? In other words, the victim never wore that bloodstained coat until after they were dead."

"Okay, fine! So what!?"

"So, when we discovered the body... the knife had been thrust through the coat along with the body. Meaning, if she wasn't stabbed until the coat was put on, and she was already dead at that point obviously the stab wound isn't what killed her!"

"M-Maybe you stabbed her twice! Once to kill her, and once to cover it up!"

"The Monokuma File clearly states that there was only one stab wound."

"Oh yeah, it sure did! I totally forgot about that!"

"Then the knife..." Hina trailed off

"...was just another piece of camouflage set up by the true killer." Makoto finished "They probably stabbed her to draw attention away from what actually killed her. Exploding the body afterward was probably meant to do the same thing. The explosion severely damaged the body, making it impossible to know what really killed her. It was all the killer's attempt to destroy all evidence of their crime!"

"So they wanted us to notice the stab wound, and then detonated the body afterward... They meant for us to latch onto the knife as the cause of death, then destroy any evidence proving otherwise." Byakuya said