Duty

Beginning of Winter 86AC, Kings Landing, Rule of Jaehaerys I

Alysanne had gone to Dragonstone bringing her youngest two daughters, Viserra and Gael, with her. The whole castle was in a blind fit of gossip for the Queen didn't just abandon her duties but her dearest daughter Rhaella. The daughter she so desperately clawed away from marriage and the fangs of the small council.

The morning was dull and dreary, the rain had picked up in the night and now drizzled down upon Kings Landing. The wind had a mind of its own and any rational sailor wouldn't travel unless an absolute necessity, yet the Queen somehow got both her daughters onto her mount Silverwing.

Gael a girl of six wouldn't have been much trouble but Viserra thrived in court and one can imagine she would put up a fight to leave.

Rhaella woke from her slumber by her handmaiden Ameria who was a few short years older than herself. Normally the older girl would've been gentle in rousing her awake but today there was a slight fear behind her eyes.

"Princess, a Kingsguard has been sent to retrieve you and deliver you straight to His Grace, The king at an urgency," the girl whispered as if scared the knight would burst through the door and steal her away to her father.

"Urgency? Did they say what for? The King did you say? What ever would he want?," the princess managed to mumble out through her half asleep state.

"Now, Princess. That is all that was given." Amaria states as she pulled the duvet from her body and begun with making her presentable.

Had Rhaella been more like her sister Saera then she would've been worried but for the life of her she couldn't think of a thing she'd done that her father would take notice of.

Once Amaria had dressed her in a fine laced crimson red dress and done her hair neatly into a braid, she opened her door to the Kingsguard sent to retrieve her. Ser William the Wasp was a kind man who she rarely spoke to considering she wasn't of such importance to have a Kingsguard follow her everywhere.

The silent walk to the throne room had to have been one of the most agonising moments of her life. Finally the large oak doors came before her and she was announced to the barren room.

Princess Rhaella of House Targaryen

The name filled the room. The girl in question walked in with a face she'd practised from her time taking on her mother's duties. On that note the little princess was beginning to wonder where her mother was. The only people in the room were her father and her eldest two brothers, Aemon and Baelon who both wore solemn looks.

The princess rarely interacted with her brothers as the family dynamic was an odd one. Aemon and Baelon were much older than she was and the only brother born close to her was Vaegon who had a rather harsh outlook on his sisters. I mean sure they were still her brothers and she loved them wholeheartedly but if you asked her to tell you much about them I don't believe she'd have much to say.

Lost in her thoughts, she hadn't noticed the King rise from his throne or the glare Baelon was sending him.

"My children, you have been gathered here in celebration. I am to announce a betrothal between the Princess and my son The Prince Baelon."

One could hear a pin drop.

She should've expected this. Her mother had protected her for too long. She had taken on board some of her Queen's duties, she had taken care of her nephews in the absence of their mother, she had become valuable to the family.
Her mother was no where to be seen which gave the impression that the normally passive queen was in protest against her husband's actions.
Baelon?
Her brother Baelon?
Alyssa's Husband.
Oh gods no, she couldn't do it, she couldn't betray her eldest sister's memory in such a way.

She could feel eyes on her. All eyes on that note were on her.

"You wish for a little sister to betray the memory of her elder? Have you forgotten Alys..."

"I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN HER"

The room fell silent once more. She hadn't come across her father's temper before. She never did anything that would direct such attention. Although by the looks of it her brothers didn't share such thoughts. Both had the same solemn look on their faces with perhaps a hint of anger building behind their lilac eyes.

"I apologise my sweet, your sister was my first born daughter she held a place that no other could reach. You must marry Baelon for the line, succession needs to be secured. Would you rather Baelon or some lord on the other side of the country away from your mother? How about the boys? They need a mother, will you take on such a responsibility? I'm not asking for you to bear 13 heirs like your own mother. Simply a few in your life. Duty. Family. Honour. The words of House Tully perhaps you could learn something from them."

Rhaella had no intention of arguing again. He had good points, she wouldn't have to leave her family, not much would change. Except she'd have to share a bed with her elder brother. And raise his and their dead sisters children. But there were worse situations to be in. It was her duty as he said. A part of her envied Saera in that moment yet she knew some of her sisters would've killed to be in her shoes instead of being sent to some old fat lord.

She couldn't exactly say no to the King could she nevermind the fact the king is her father. He would protect her against it all. That was his job.

Slam

Baelon had gone.