Terms and Conditions

WINTER 86AC.

Rhaella Targaryen always thought she'd marry a fat old lord, bear him a few sons and then be widowed for the rest of her life in some holdfast.

Against all believe and probability, she was now officially betrothed to Prince Baelon the Brave. Brave is a strong word for a man who rushed out of the hall when there engagement was to be announced on the last morrow in Rhaella's opinion. 

She imagined Baelon sulking to himself somewhere or perhaps complaining to Aemon about the unlucky draw of their sisters he got stuck with. He was the one getting less out of this, he had already fulfilled his responsibilities to the bloodline and the realm. Yet his freedom was stripped from him by the same man who called himself their father.

That didn't mean she was happy with this arrangement. Rather she'd prefer the ignorance of her elder brother than the lust of a lord her father's age and it's not like Baelon was set to inherit the throne. She would have some control over her choices with the lack of attention her brother-husband would give her.

The princess's last thought came down to the lives of her nephews. The Princes Viserys and Daemon were to have a quieter life than their elder cousin Rhaenys who would one day sit the Iron Throne.
Yet, as princes of the realm, they would never know true peace. They would also never know Alyssa's wit or her unfathomable loyalty or her love. Viserys may grow to have few recollections of her but Daemon would have none.

Yet now, she was to step up and play mother. Maybe that's why she didn't fight it because deep down it was up to her.

It was her duty.

Her eldest sister stepped up for her whilst their own mother had been on the birthing bed or fulling her other duties to the realm. It was her turn to repay the favour.
Not for her father.
Not for Baelon.
Alyssa was who she'd honour for Alyssa would have done the same for her without hesitation.
Perhaps that's why Alyssa was her father's favourite daughter because she was the better woman.

##################################

The winter was harshening. Winds so uncontrollable not even the Sea Snake would dare sail through. Kings Landing was preparing itself for flooding and critical damage as the storm raged through Westeros. The maesters were concerned from the Wall to Dorne.

Still a fortnight after King Jaehaerys informed his children of their engagement, The Good Queen Alysanne as well as her youngest two daughters were still noticeably absent from the keep.
They would have to stay at Dragonstone for an extended period of time to wait out the conditions is what the court had been told.

Although rumour had it the Queen had no intention of returning in the near future.

Meanwhile, Princess Rhaella was reading herself for bed when she heard a knock at her door so faint she thought she dreamt it. Until she heard it again. The door opened. Rhaella froze in the dark. She felt something pull at the sheets then the light of a candle revealed her attackers.

"Auntie are you to be our new mother?"

"Do you EVER shut up, Daemon."

"Well Grandsire and Uncle Aemon said.."

The two boys bickered at the end of her bed; the elder holding a flicking candle whilst the younger was still trying to furiously haul himself up to join them.

A pointed look from Rhaella managed to silence her younger nephews. Throwing the duvet back, she snatched the candle and walked to the lanterns placed around the room, lighting each one. Once the last lantern was lit, the room was full of a dim warm light.

The princess turned back to her bed with a pointed look,

"Aren't you supposed to be in bed, Viserys"

"I had questions Aunt. Daemon followed."

Viserys was always a quiet child who if not for his Valyrian looks, would have his parentage questioned. The Brave Baelon and Wild Alyssa of house Targaryen were the blood of the dragon through and through. Daemon was proving to very much be their offspring who the world would have to hold their breath for. Yet, Viserys was more lizard than dragon. Except it seems for tonight where Rhaella could swear there was a burning fire behind his young lilac eyes.

"Questions? Tell me Nephew and I will answer as best as I can"

"You wish to replace my mother? Grandsire spoke of us needing a mother and brothers"

"Sweet boy. The King wishes for me and your father to marry to protect you. Your father has to stand by Uncle Aemon as his hand, I only wish to look after you two, no one could replace Aly... your mother."

Daemon, who up till this point had been tugging at the thrown back duvet, let out a pleased sigh as he practically rolled onto Rhaella's lap. The princess looked down at him not even trying to suppress the smile that graced her face.

Viserys did not share her amusement.

"Whenever do you STOP?"

Daemons reply was simple. He sat up from his aunts lap and launched for his brother. He would've made it aswell if Rhaella hadn't grabbed his waist to seat him in his original position back on her.

A smirk was all he gave her. She couldn't argue with that, he would go on to charm many women with that smirk she had no doubt. However it was now her responsibility to lead him to that point in his life.

"Daemon meant no real harm, child. Only to infuriate you into a reaction."

The youngest prince laughed at that, yet silenced his grin when the princess gave him another rather pointed look.

"From now on boys, it'll be us three I'm afraid. I will be there for you both always. I will never replace your mother but I will try to be the closest thing for you to have in her absence."

"Uncle Aemon said you were nice. Father's been in his study recently, he does not have a lot of time for us."

Even Rhaella had to look down at that comment. This was her life now. Taking care of her soon to be son in laws whilst her husband throws himself further into the realm. Diving into a pool of guilt over raising them in the place of their mother.

Silence engulfed the room until little Daemon Targaryen stuck out his pinky finger and pouted up at her,

"Promise you won't leave us. If you promise you can't break it. You'll have to stay."

"I promise to you, my darling boy."

—————————————————————————

Hi, uh I really don't like this book but here we are. I've got a bit of a plan but I'm indecisive so watch it go out the window. It will be a different ending to the dance but everything leading up will be about the same give or take. 👀