- untitled - (W&N)

Word Count: 3316 words

Wanda and Natasha had been together for years.

Until one afternoon Natasha saw a couple of messages come into Wanda's phone from one of the mothers from their adopted daughter Mallory's middle school. The messages were friendly, too friendly for Natasha's liking. At first, Natasha wanted to brush it off ... but the texts never stopped. Wanda would reply to the woman (Abigail) as soon as she could, even if she was speaking to Natasha. One day, the woman called Wanda's phone late at night. Natasha answered, and the call ended immediately. The late-night call led Natasha to look at Wanda's call history. The woman would call late at night, several days in a row. The next morning, Natasha brought it up at breakfast. Wanda denied having any kind of relationship with the woman, other than being friends. Natasha wanted to believe her girlfriend, she had little to no reason not to. The following days were awkward, Natasha would not talk to Wanda or hold her at night like she used to.

That was when Wanda decided enough was enough. She made an appointment to see a marriage counselor. At the counseling session, the counselor posed the question of whether this was a situation if both parties had hoped to reconcile or not. Wanda had hopes things could be reconciled, but Natasha was unsure.

When the two were getting ready that night, Natasha turned to Wanda and admitted that she didn't think things could work. Natasha told Wanda she was going to move out. Wanda begged her to reconsider her decision, she wanted to fix things. She would have done anything, but Natasha stood firm on her decision to move out. Just for a little while, she told Wanda. Natasha packed her bags the next day, despite Wanda not leaving their bedroom. Wanda sat in their bed with tears in her eyes, biting on her fingernails. When Natasha loaded the last bag into her car, she looked back at the house. She saw Wanda standing at the window. Natasha waved before getting in her car and driving to a motel. Wanda broke down crying when Natasha started her car. Falling onto her knees, crossing her arms over her chest.

A few hours later, Mallory came home from school. She got a ride from Abigail. Mallory didn't have her own set of keys, she knocked on the door and Wanda went to the door. Before opening the door, Wanda used her sleeves to wipe the stream of tears from her cheeks. She greeted her daughter with a hug, then stepped to the side to let her enter the house. She smiled for a moment at Abigail, then closed the door.

Mallory didn't notice her mother's things missing, but she did notice her absence at dinner. Wanda lied to her daughter, telling her that Natasha was in a late meeting. Dinner was just going to be the two of them.

Wanda didn't know what to say to Mallory, she and Natasha did not discuss it yet. She only hoped Natasha would come by to help her explain.

And she did, that next morning.

Natasha came to the house at 6 AM, giving plenty of time to come up with what to say about their separation before Mallory woke up. She knocked on the door lightly, before letting herself in with her keys.

Natasha went straight to the kitchen when she heard tapping. Wanda was cutting up fruits for Mallory's snack.

"I knocked," Natasha said and sat on a bench at the counter.

Wanda glanced at Natasha, meeting her eyes for a moment. "Mhm," she hummed and continued cutting the apple in-front of her.

"I didn't know if you were up, so I used my keys."

"This is your home too. It's fine."

"Wanda, can we talk?"

"We are, we are talking. This is talking."

Natasha placed her hand on Wanda's. She slowly took the knife from her and placed it next to her. Wanda could feel the tears beginning to form in her eyes when she felt Natasha's hand touch hers. "I want to talk about Mallory...I wanted to have her over this weekend."