- untitled #2 - (w/ A. Shepherd Mention)

Word Count: 3827 words

Today is the day I will see my brother for the first time in what seems like, and is, forever. We have never been close, possibly to my fault. I have been in and, mostly, out of his life due to my 'issues'. Yet, Tony and his wife have never failed to try and support me. Emotionally and financially. There is no doubt in my mind that he thinks of me as a problem and something that is broken. Knowing of him, I know that it may have crossed his mind to give up on me. I am lucky that he didn't give up on me, even when I messed up so many times. Sometimes for the same reason.

My day is planned already for me to follow, not one thing unplanned. Courtesy of my friends here in Seattle. As outlined in the itinerary, I follow the schedule to the minute and get ready to leave the comfy sofa I have been using while at Amelia Shepherd's studio apartment. Amelia Shepherd has been the woman who helps me make it through each day and night. She is my best friend, who has taken it upon herself to make sure I stay on the metaphorical wagon. Despite my efforts to push her away at first. She does have her wagon to stay on. This side job of hers entails never leaving me alone when both of us have nothing to do. If she doesn't have the time in her schedule to hang out with me, she assigns someone else to. Overprotective, and annoying, but I love her for that. Sometimes.

It's 5:00 PM, and according to the schedule, I have to leave at this moment to board a plane to travel to New York. And so I do. I board the jet to be welcomed by strange smiling people who have fear written in their eyes, probably due to some instruction or threat given to them. They take my suitcases and backpack, then hand me snacks.

I chose to sit by the window. First I just watch the women whispering in the corner looking back at me. I opened one of the snacks, its plain packaging made it a mystery to what it was. It was pretzels in the shape of a heart. "cute..." I mumble as I take the tiniest bites that are like shaving it down to dust. I am snapped out of my thoughts when my phone starts to ring with a Facetime call, it was Doctor Amelia Shepherd. That is her contact name on my phone. I answer it, placing my phone to the side and positioning it in a way that she can see me. "Hi," I greet her, still gnawing on pretzels. "Hey, how's the flight?" She asks with a smile, sitting on a chair in the Attendings' lounge back at Grey-Sloan.

"It's okay." I shrugged. "I mean, I made it on time and it's in the air. With the help of this." I say holding up the paper before going back to my pretzels. Amelia knew I was as enthusiastic about this day leading up to it. I finally get to see my brother. "Well, perfect! And how are you doing?" She then asks, tilting her head slightly.

I roll my eyes. "I'm great, I have pretzels that are shaped like hearts. The best shape for a pretzel, even though, in my opinion, they should not have been forced to be more like a heart. They are fine just the way they are..."

"I see that..." she says, then I cut her off before she begins to start up a  deeper conversation. I just do not want to hear anything right now. "Listen, I'm tired and I think I am going to take a nap. Can we check in later?" I ask, finally looking at the phone screen. She is worrying about me at this moment. Probably disappointed in my lack of talking. She nods in agreement and hangs up the call.

A few minutes later, I situated myself to be comfortable enough to fall asleep. Normally it would take a while for me to sleep, but I had trouble sleeping for the past few months which helped in this moment. A couple of hours later, I was woken up by a ginger-haired woman with a soft cover over me. "hey Y/N..." she whispered, taking the seat across from me. It was Pepper Potts, my sister-in-law. "We are really happy you're here". We. There is no we in sight.

Tony wasn't here with us, but I still showed her a smile, despite wanting to question why Tony wasn't here. "When you're ready, we can take a car to the compound and get you settled in." she continued.