- untitled #3 -

I found this in my notes from 2022 (two stories).

WORD COUNT: 540 Words

"What do you dream?" i ask Natasha looking up to the ceiling of my bedroom. The painted on sky was just so pretty, a great view to fall sleep to.

Natasha looked down at me, specifically the way my hand fit into hers. "I dream of this moment." She responded. "I dream of holding your hand and guiding you through the world. I dream of watching you grow up...and watching you find your true love"

"Like a princess?"

"Yes, like a princess." She smiled and placed a kissed on my forehead. "Your my little princess, my favorite one."

"What about Belle?"

"No one can compare to you, Aunty Nat loves you. You know that, right?" She asked as she lightly combed through my hair with her fingers.

I nod my head.

"If, whenever, I'm gone, just look up to the sky and wave. I'll always be with you, even if I'm not."

"Where will you be? I'll miss you."

"I'll be with my mom, and I would miss you too."

"When would I see you again? Will you visit for Christmas? What about Thanksgiving? Mother's Day? My Birthday?"

Natasha opened her mouth to speak but no sound came out.

I wanted to repeat the question, but a tear rolled down her cheek.

"I would be there in spirit, just remember the sky. Night or Day, I'm there. Way up high, you won't be able to see me. Not even an astronaut can see."

"What about astronaut Barbie?"

She laughed. "Not even astronaut Barbie."

I sighed, wrapping my arm around her waist. "I love you Aunty Nat."

"And I love you, my favorite niece."

"I'm your only niece," I laughed.

"That's right. My one and only, you're like my baby."

"Can I get a cousin?" I asked.

As I asked the question, I could feel Natasha's chest sink for a moment. It was almost like someone had scared her.

Natasha tightened her grip around me, and placed her chin on the top of my head. "Maybe one day, sweetie." She said. "Maybe one day."

"Tomorrow?" I suggested with a soft laugh, which made her laugh.

"No, no. Tomorrow is too soon, I haven't even found my true love."

"What about grandpa Steve? He's pretty handsome, for you."

"Has Tony been teaching you history? Where did grandpa come from?" She asked, deflecting from the question.

"He's one hundred years old!"

"Aunty Nat doesn't want to change diapers when or if his body system catches up with his age!" She replied and started to try to tickle me.

I am not ticklish, but I like to laugh.

"Stop it! Stop it!" I playfully yelled as I tried to catch my breath when she stopped. "But-" I go to say something but Natasha places her finger on my lip.

"Shh, I'm getting sleepy. It should your bedtime. Let's follow the sky's schedule, it's night time and time to sleep."

I yawned. "Fine," I responded and cuddled up to her. "Only because you're tired." I yawned again. "Yep, it's just me." Natasha smiled. She turned onto her back and gently pulled me ontop of her. I could hear her heartbeat, it was so calming.