PERE ET FILS

Alexis clutched his hands; his stare remained fixed on the floor. "I want out. I'm going to ask for a divorce."

"You'll do nothing as such. A single president is unheard of. The only people I know who pulled it off are the 15th president of the United States, James Buchanan, who died a bachelor, and François Hollande, and we all know what diplomatic issues he faced."

Being married is the nonspoken criterion for eligibility to become president. Marriage doesn't just socially display stability; it sometimes becomes the highest stake.

International relationships could falter in Conservative Muslim states, especially if the president entered another relationship and decided to live as a concubine.

Pierre shook his head at his son, "You're Catholic, remember. Would the Vatican welcome you with open arms if you divorced? Foreign affairs with the Middle East could fall through."

One's political image wasn't limited to competence. A candidate's morale was the pinnacle of their status. The secular state was lenient concerning candidates' marital status, but most preferred the historical family model. A divorce would weaken both Severine and Alexis.

"Think with your head instead of your penis for once. What do you think stirred your wife's anger? Severine was under control, and she helped win your elections. She wrote all the speeches. That woman gave you everything."

"I gave her everything," Alexis said, beating a hand on his chest. "Her status and wealth, she was no one, and now you're eating out of her hand. What did she promise you? You won't make me believe you gave her your support by goodness of heart. Tell which minister she'll give you?"

Pierre took a deep breath and went to pour himself a glass of bourbon, "she didn't promise anything, but she knows she owes me one."

"Father, do you understand what you did? You supported my spouse instead of your son. Can you imagine the impact?"

"I made that choice for you, you fool. Severine would have asked for a divorce. You would have lost before even beginning. We're supposed to lead by example. Do you think the nation would vote for the man who cheats on his wife every other day except Sunday? It wasn't a big deal before Mitterand and Hollande got away with it, but social media rings the bells of Shame in the present. They cancel people faster than one can get their phone out of their jacket's breast pocket. You are my legacy; I made you listen to me for once, Alexis."

"What can I do? Everyone is talking about Severine. She hasn't even spoken out in public, but she has the sympathy polls since she's visiting schools and retirement homes."

Pierre fell back on his Chesterfield sofa, "She's doing that while you're visiting police stations. All people see is the rigidity and traditionalism."

"Work on your program. Show more empathy and spontaneity. You're supposed to be moderate, remember."

"Whose side are you on, father?"

Pierre smiled. "I'm on my side. Who else?"

Pierre already did the maths. If his son won, he assured his position. If Severine won, she was in debt; she couldn't pay him back with a nomination. The public would criticize her choice. Still, Pierre could benefit from her protection. Lastly, he had his party candidate. Stephane Darroze was loyal and honest. For Pierre Stephane incarnated, the parties will. The country's economy and power remained the central piece for the Republicans. French citizens needed to sacrifice the comfort they had if France wanted to be the victor in the worldwide power struggle. Remaining in NATO and France's contribution to the EU, those were burning questions that needed to be solved.

Darroze was their solution, but the public wouldn't take the pill from a Republican. Thus, Pierre entrusted his hope to someone who navigated between two shores. They had debated enough for Pierre to know Severine agreed with the principals. Pierre planted his seed and let Severine find the most convenient method to convince her party and the people.

"Do you want to know my ponderings? Severine will make it to the second tour," Pierre announced abruptly.

"How do you know? Isn't it too early for such an assessment?"

"Because change is the trend, and Severine has the right formula for this trend. She's a woman, she is black and under 40. She's charismatic and an activist, the youth like her. She's vegetarian, at least, that's what she says. She drives an electric car, and ecologists like her. She already has a few heads from the Labour Party dancing. I'm in her pocket; right now, it's all about seats at the assembly. Strike a deal with her.

Only the damned can do our job. There is no loyalty in politics. The end justifies the means. You need Severine, she needs you, and we need each other. Don't start the divorce process. You need to stick with her until the results. No, the legislative. The population must see you unified."

"Merde, merde, merde,' Alexis yelled, knowing his father was right.

He needed to find a solution, and the first step was to find allies in the other parties.

"Father, can you talk to Stephane?"

"I'll talk to him once you deal with Severine." Pierre needed to make sure all plans stayed afloat.

It wasn't mandatory, but sometimes parties blocked candidates when their leader lost the first round of the elections by advising voters to vote for one party instead of another.

The French had imposed a censorship vote multiple times in the past to block far right-wing extremist candidates. Patriotic Front, National Front; the people ensured they remained in a Pandora's box.

There, Alexis had to obtain support from opponents if Severine ever topped the statistics. He preferred to have anyone else lead the country than his wife.

"I hope the woman you're screwing has the right pedigree. You'll need to replace Severine with someone just as first lady-like after the legislative."