2EME TOUR

Severine opened her eyes to what could be her last day as a regular citizen. She lifted her hand to look at the manicure Laulati had done. The red hibiscus tint by Manicurist glistened in the morning ray of light as she remembered what Laulati said.

"I am grateful that a country like France welcomed my parents as refugees. I'm proud of my Laotian heritage, but I'm also delighted to be French when I see what is about to happen. You are a blessing, Severine. You're the best thing that could happen to this country. The times are dark, so many people are suffering. People outside French borders don't know how hard it is to survive here. I'm fortunate to have met your father."

Laulati was sincere. Her words made Severine realize the immense hope she represented. As she walked to her window and opened it that morning, Severine was acutely aware of the weight of the expectations placed upon her. 

Would her legacy be brighter than those of the men before her?

 The question hung heavy in the air.

It was a day of reckoning. Winning was not a choice but a necessity. Severine stepped out of her room, the house eerily silent, the calm before the storm.

"Good morning, Louis."

"Bonjour, madame."

"Is Mr. Lafarge awake?"

"No, madame."

"Good."

Severine got ready. The car waited for her at 7:3 a.m. She was at the city hall's opening at 8 a.m. this time, leaving no time for journalists to badger her. The candidate voted for herself.

Alexis was leaving to vote when she returned home.

"Thank you for your unwavering dedication," Severine acknowledged, her voice filled with sarcasm and a hint of gratitude as she passed her husband at the entrance.

"It's not for you. I'm doing this for the country," Alexis said and left. Severine was alone, her heart heavy with the weight of her decision to keep Alexis by her side. Noëm didn't want to come home and risk meeting Alexis. Severine had to find a solution. If she won that night, they would all have to live in the Elysee Palace. She could pretend to play the happy couple with her spouse, but she couldn't impose the motion on Noëm. Her son had already suffered a great deal.

The situation helped no one; the Lafarge were condemned to cohabit for the sake of legislative elections unless Severine found a way to get out of it.

This time, she waited at home until the last three hours to go to the headquarters.

The population deserted the streets. Everyone watched the polls' percentage fluctuations. Citizens filled the bars. People drank and speculated while journalists ran about, trying to get footage.

Faryil looked in the rearview mirror. Severine seemed serene.

The candidate strode towards her forties, but she was the most glamorous woman Faryil had the opportunity to approach. Her beauty sublimed everything: hair, makeup, and clothes when usually, the elements underlined one's qualities.

Cara was beautiful, but her sister had something else, an inner grace that seeped through her aura, whereas Cara had an electrifying outer darkness.

It was the first time that two women mesmerized the bodyguard at the same time. They were so different yet so captivating. Faryil understood why Alexis got caught up. He probably wished to have the best of both worlds.

What a fool, thought Faryil. Even he knew the women would be the death of him. He would die in duty for one and die of sorrow for the other.

"Are you okay, madame?"

"Yes, Faryil."

Everything played itself out there for the bodyguard. Would his contract be extended for five years, or would he have to clock into his unemployment profile?

The police escorted their car. The flashing lights made Severine turn away from the window. The preventive diapositive gave the candidate a taste of her imminent future. 

There was no sound except the pitter-patter of the rain. Severine closed her eyes. Every scene of the campaign drifted past. Voices, sentences, and actions. So many things had happened, and many more were to come.

"Are you ready, madame?"

Severine nodded, and Faryil exited the car to open her door to the explosion of voices.

"Madame Lafarge, comment vous vous sentez?"

"Madame Lafarge, que pensez vous de resultats actuelle?"

"Ou est votre époux, madame Lafarge?"

"Est-que monsieur Lafarge va vous rejoindre avec votre fils?"

Severine answered no one as she went through the cluster of reporters that Faryil held at bay.

Everyone clapped and cheered the candidate as she entered the headquarters.All knew the outcome, but none spoke of it as if the words could jinx the reality.

"Paul."

"Severine."

The two smiled at one another in mutual respect, and Severine went to her office.

The volunteers already boxed the campaign material. There was no time to waste; it was only a matter of hours before the final results. Servers slalomed about and poured beer and champagne into glasses. People began to drink to celebrate the end of a very tiring campaign while a few prepped the headquarters in a more festive decor.

"Severine."

The woman barely noticed her sister. Cara was now one of the numerous faces in her surroundings. Her usual confidence seemed flaked. Did Alexis complete his mission and put an end to their affair? It was hard to tell.

Though curious, Severine couldn't engage in a conversation to find out. The moment was hers, and it was neither the time nor the place to hear Cara's rumblings.

Could they one day mend what was lost?

The time to heal was not at hand.

"Do you need anything, Severine? Food, water?"

"No, thank you, Cara. I need some time alone."

The scene felt like a repeat with a few variations. One only felt it if they were present for the first round. Severine posed her bag and took out her speeches.

She had one for every scenario.

Loss or win, both speeches weighed in a sense. She knew both by heart, but still, she recited.

"Severine, Paul is asking if you'll join us soon," Maria asked.

 Severine chose to alternate the ending by living the results with everyone this time. The stand was ready for her speech, and so were the journalists the party allowed to cover the unique moment. The preliminary results came out at 8 p.m. The counting would go on all night, and the Ministry of Interior would announce the final results the next day. The one percent margin didn't change anything for the candidates, who knew who won with the preliminary numbers.

"Ça y nous y sommes, après plusieurs mois de campagne féroce et d'attente. Nous allons enfin dévoiler le nom du 26ème président de la République, dans 20 seconds."

The countdown began, and everyone ran to see the live broadcast. People held hands or hugged the closest person to them.

"Mesdames et messieurs, c'est un moment historique que nous vivons. Et la 26eme présidente de la repubique estㅡ."

The screen went blank, and a photo appeared under twinkling confetti rain.

"Mesdames et messieurs voici le visage de la nouvelle présidente de la République."