PREY

As expected, many articles lingered on Severine's appearance on the show. Some referred to her as the pretty candidate in a brutal, ruthless world of politics.

"Do you want a president or a doll? We do politics, not Paris Fashion Week," Robert Cardinal from the communist party said the next day on the radio. "What did she say that was so groundbreaking?"

"Madame Lafarge explained parts of her program. Her answers were concise, but viewers got the big picture," the interviewer said.

"How does having strong athletes save the country? It's ridiculous. What did she bring to the table that another party hasn't? She just picked the best parts of everyone's speeches and branded them hers."

Other voices rose with more spiteful commentary. "Madame Lafarge is a gimmick. The CL chose her for the imagery. They knew the world would go gaga over the opportunity of seeing a spin-off of the Obama saga made in France." Angelique Barbeau said when asked what she thought of her opponent.

Memes of Severine as South Park's token character began to pop up on Z and other media.

Everyone, including Severine, knew her color would be a debate and that it wouldn't be for the traditional reasons of being an exception.

No, the debate was about being the archetype of a new worldㅡa world of diversity and no gender boundaries.

C'est un produit! The sentence depicting Severine as a product made headlines in right-wing newspapers nationwide.

The angle of attack was frail, but some people were careless enough to be swayed.

"Don't you find it riveting that we're at this crossing road, and we have acquired a person portraying the hopes of an exacting youth sensitive to image, packaging, and marketing? This presidential is so Gen Z. Candidates are younger. They're using social media platforms to turn tables. I find it quite amusing," Christian Dreux, a sociologist, said on the C15 morning show.

"Severine Lafarge can't be categorized as a self-made woman. She is rich.
Her husband is wealthy and powerful. She has privileges most people, regardless of color, can dream of. Painting her as some martyr who lived it rough before becoming this caricatural figure of hope is preposterous." Bernard Robuchon, the Labour Party's candidate, said.

Abroad, the press saw Severine as newness. The French renouveau British newspaper titled while in the US, some voices rose to warn the French: Don't be blinded by the package. Do you want France to be led by a bunch of ruffians? Safeguard your primacy.

"Que pensez vous de ces commentaires madame Lafarge?"

"Je n'ai pas le temps pour ce genre de chose," Severine replied as she entered her headquarters.

"Madame Lafarge, what are you wearing today?"

Of course, the fashion bloggers among the journalists were more interested in the Birkin bag she carried than in her program.

Severine covered her outrage with a smile and advanced. She hated the way the press searched to push her into the fashion icon box. The politician detested the double standard much more, knowing her male counterparts weren't hounded by such questions.

"C'est fantastique," Paul said, tossing à newspaper after another. "Everyone is asking about you."

"The polls have risen by three points. Voting intentions are positive in the Dom-Toms," Cara added.

Severine couldn't ignore the Tiffany and Co. Elsa Perretti Diamond necklace decorating her sister's neck as she spoke. The detail struck her, just like her sister's tastes in shoes and clothes. Cara's resemblance to her appeared more predominant these days. She seemed more primed.

Was she dating?

Severine noticed how attached her sister was to her phone. At first, she thought Cara surveilled her social until she saw how often Cara texted. Severine had no time to analyze this further as she focused on the information each gave.

"The elderly's voting intentions haven't budged. They're very reticent. Angelique Barbeau has made them anxious with her speeches about immigration heightening and the invasion of Africans if a French African is elected," Keri said as Severine placed her bag on her desk before falling back on her chair.

Exasperation and exhaustion intertwined with excitement. The woman couldn't pinpoint the dominant feeling.

"What's next?" Severine asked, tired of hearing people's opinions about her. The only thing that reassured her was knowing Alexis struggled, too. He was even behind her in the voting polls. He failed to seduce both the elderly and the youth. Most blamed the axe of his campaign based on insecurity. Many accused him of using the argument of the far right to camouflage the fact he would comfort citizens of the same financial status as he.

Paul pursued the brief, "You spoke little but well. We've scheduled a radio talk show at noon and a podcast at tea time to keep the momentum going. Luc and François both want to see you. They'll be here in half an hour."

Severine sighed; seeing Luc and François was like a family dinner with Mom and Dad. François always tried to impose his will while Luc played mediator between the new and former head of the party.

François made it clear. He didn't vote for Severine at the party's primary. She was too young and inexperienced. Yet he had no choice but to endorse the woman their party chose. Politics first, Severine couldn't fail. Hence, the man taught the untamed. Severine was a ticking time bomb. François doubted the party would gain control if she accessed Elysee Palace.

A hidden agenda allowed the party heads to prepare for the eventuality of Severine going renegade.

"Okay," Severine said and got up. She had half an hour for the morning meet and greet with the volunteers working on the campaign.

Croissants, Pain au chocolat, coffee, and tea, the party made sure the volunteers felt welcomed. Severine's goal was to let everyone know how essential their work was. Thus, she smiled, encouraged, and thanked her campaign tasked forces before going for the verbal joust with her party's dinosaurs.