THE BOYS

Severine took out her Blackberry to take the persisting call and frowned. Since when did her son's school call her?

"Hello."

"Mrs. Larfarge, it's Catherine Harris. Head of Kensington Boys School."

"Yes, how can I help you?"

"We need to discuss a matter of great urgency concerning Noëm," the head said.

"Go ahead, speak freely."

"This can't be done over the phone," the head explained.

Severine looked around her. Everyone waited for her to finish the call, "I'm sorry, Miss Harris, but I'm sure you've seen the news. I can't leave the campaign and come in person."

"It's important, Mrs Lafarge. This matter could impact you more than you think."

"Has something happened to Noëm?" Severine asked.

"No."

Severine laughed nervously, "Mrs Harris, thank you for your call, but unless my son needs a heart or kidney transplant, I can't budge."

The headmistress expected nothing less from the candidate. Like most parents who enrolled their sons in boarding school, Severine had no time to spare. Thus, Mrs. Harris unleashed what usually causes parents to panic: "He's suspended until further notice."

"May I ask why?" Severine asked in a tone too poised for the headmistress's comfort.

The headmistress felt mocked by what she estimated as a condescending response, "We need to investigate."

"Investigate what?" Severine sighed noisily to show her exasperation. "Mrs. Harris, can you please stop with the mystery and tell me what all this is about?"

"We need to meet Mrs Lafarge. I assure you I wouldn't have called you myself if I didn't think it was crucial."

Severine moved to a corner of her office.

"Mrs Harris. Could this threaten my campaign?"

"Yes, madam. The consequences might impact you and Mr Lafarge."

Severine listened, hung up, and returned to the meeting.

"Gentleman, could you leave me to discuss with Paul, Keri, and Rolland?"

Everyone except the three men remained seated.

"We have a problem," Severine announced.

"What?" Paul asked. The crisis king was on the starting blocks.

"It was Noëm's headmistress. Something happened at his school. I urgently need to leave for London."

Rolland shook his head, "Severine, we're supposed to be at Limoges for your next rally tomorrow."

"Say, I'm sick."

"Severine."

"What did she say exactly?" Keri asked.

"They suspended Noëm, and it could impact the campaign."

"In what school is he in again?" Paul asked.

"Kensington Boys Boarding School."

Paul got up, "Okay, let me call them."

"Paul," Severine interjected as the man dialed.

"Let him do Severine. He's your head of comm and master spinner. He knows what he's doing," Rolland reminded her.

Paul began to pace with his phone, "Hi, can I speak to Catherine Harris? I'm Paul Lakan, head of communications for Severine Lafarge.ㅡ Thank youㅡ" Paul turned to look at everyone before resuming. "ㅡHello, Mrs Harris.. I'm calling concerning Noëm Lafarge. As you know, Mrs Lafarge has a busy agenda. Have you tried calling her husband?ㅡI see. Can't we find a better arrangement? What time is itㅡ" Paul looked at his watch. "ㅡIt's 11:30; how about you board a first-class flight for Paris to come to explain in person the specific issue troubling the tranquillity of the prestigious Kensington Boysㅡwe will take care of the detailsㅡyes, of course, this is exceptional. We know you are a busy personality also.ㅡNoëm will take his Eurostar as usualㅡ yes, I understand. Thank you so much, madame. Mrs Lafarge appreciates your commitment."